finned brake rotors

2»

Comments

• mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    I wonder if i alone have issue with DT350 rear hub and Campag groupset? Chorus cassette would just rub on spokes. Had to put on Shimano freehub and Ultegra cassete, shifting is clunky now.. Will probably move to Shimano fully, Campag don't even seem to be a player in disc brakes.

Edit in:
    RT99 rotors do seem to work really well, i'd like to replace default HyRd pads, though.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    mamil314 wrote:

Edit in:
    RT99 rotors do seem to work really well, i'd like to replace default HyRd pads, though.

when they were on sale, I bought a few sets of Nukeproof semi metallic from CRC... they seem to have bit more bite. Problem is 525 is a low end standard for Shimano, hence you can't buy anything supa-dupa in terms of pads
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    DT350 disc brake hubs are not compatible with campagnolo cassette/freehubs.

The sprocket spacing of shimano 11 speed and campagnolo 11 speed is identical. Shifting will not be clunky if you set up your gears properly. On my Look I have an SRAM red22 cassette with a record 11 speed groupset. Shifting is like I had a record 11 speed cassette in there. Campagnolo will be releasing a hydraulic brake system in 2017. Testing is underway.

So why throw away a perfectly good groupset because you have poor indexing setup. If you have poor setup with campagnolo you will have the same with shimano. Check hanger alignment e.t.c. if it is clunky.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Nice to see the brake caliper covered in black pad-dust,rather than road muck, for a change :-)
    Tan line getting sharper too... :-)

https://www.strava.com/routes/4453961
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Id have a nose at some Uberbike matrix pads recently started using them on my MTB, stop well like Kevlar but take the heat an crap like sintered.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Step83 wrote:
    Id have a nose at some Uberbike matrix pads recently started using them on my MTB, stop well like Kevlar but take the heat an crap like sintered.

I am a bit weary of Uberbike... bought bits and pieces in the past, but it seems all rebranded generic stuff... basically the same things as Token, Planet X or Superstars branded stuff
  • 852Kompol
    852Kompol Posts: 67
    I am from Hong Kong and and the decends here I reckon is not as demanding as the alps as you're at best having an elevation of like 950m, but with the Freeza RT-99 rotors I did managed to get some warning on fading brakes towards the end of some of the more demanding local decends(you started to hear noises from them) its still alright, but I think I might be ended up with charred rotors if they are not finned. I did come across the Jagwire finned ones readily from the lbs, they are quite light and fancy looking in the flesh I must admit
  • ugo.santalucia
    852Kompol wrote:
    I did come across the Jagwire finned ones readily from the lbs, they are quite light and fancy looking in the flesh I must admit

Yes, but the fins in the Jagwire are simply riveted to the disc rotor, so I doubt they have any benefit whatsoever. In the case of Shimano, the fins are the extension of an aluminium core bonded to the steel of the disc...
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Step83 wrote:

I am a bit weary of Uberbike... bought bits and pieces in the past, but it seems all rebranded generic stuff... basically the same things as Token, Planet X or Superstars branded stuff

Fair point, Ive come down hills on Kevlar pads on my MTB from superstar an ended up with a cooked caliper. Did the same hill at the weekend on some new M675's with stock Shimano sintered finned pads an no problem at all, im putting that down to two things, the finned pads and the ceramic pistons in the caliper which dissipate heat more effectively.

In terms of the problem your having though id focus on cooling the actual brake rather than the rotor. The rotor is being cooled as it spins but the caliper is not so it heats up internally with little way to dump the heat bar the airflow over the caliper body. At least with a finned pad you would effectively radiate the heat out from the pistons an pads which are going to be the hottest points.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    DT350 disc brake hubs are not compatible with campagnolo cassette/freehubs.

The sprocket spacing of shimano 11 speed and campagnolo 11 speed is identical. Shifting will not be clunky if you set up your gears properly. On my Look I have an SRAM red22 cassette with a record 11 speed groupset. Shifting is like I had a record 11 speed cassette in there. Campagnolo will be releasing a hydraulic brake system in 2017. Testing is underway.

So why throw away a perfectly good groupset because you have poor indexing setup. If you have poor setup with campagnolo you will have the same with shimano. Check hanger alignment e.t.c. if it is clunky.

Thank you. I will fiddle with indexing more. I hope it's not TA Nerius Chainrings or older Chorus RD giving me trouble.