Shimano PD-R550 PROBLEM?

Cyclist999
Cyclist999 Posts: 9
edited October 2015 in Workshop
Hello
I have problem about this pedals. I bought them 1500 km ago :D. Everything is just perfect with lots of integration such as wider body, specifications like 105 pedals and high comfort level until the very stealthy coming problem.
The problem is the metal stick which supposes to secure cleat mechanism of the pedal. (the cleat mechanism as you know, the whole black thing that has adjustable spring tension)
That metal stick (not in built like screw or Allen screw) starts moving out from cleat mechanism and results instant disengagement of shoe from pedal during high power load on pedals like sprinting.
Fortunately after first interval, unconsciously I looked my pedals and saw that stick moved out, after doing couple of movement with shoe, it came out some more, and then I pulled my shoe from pedal through vertical to road (as pulling) then instantly my shoe came off. Think that, If I did not realize it and go for second interval. ..
What can I do about this problem or are there anyone who encountered the same problem?

Comments

• ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Maybe a picture of what you are trying to explain would help
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Sounds like they are defective. Can you return them under warranty?

I only have experience of SPD type pedals, and they seem to last for ages. 8 years and counting on the older pair.
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Common problem. Push the pin back in, while holding the cleat mechanism in place. Job's a good 'un.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...