Skull cap covering ears

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Any recommendations for a cap that I can wear comfortably under my helmet that will also keep my ears warm? Ideally it would also provide good moisture wicking to keep my head and forehead dry.

Comments

• Planet x merino cap will stretch well enough, and isn't dear by any measure.
  • Endura BaaBaa Merino Skullcap
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • rumbataz
    Thanks for the three suggestions so far. How do the ones mentioned cope with wicking sweat away whilst still keeping head and ears warm?

Budget is around £25 max.
  • rumbataz
    A headband is an interesting idea. I'll take a look, thanks.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    TBH I use a normal buff which does the job perfectly well.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    i've been using an Altura one which only cost around £12 and has lasted for over 5 years of winter commuting and is still in good condition. I can't really see the point of spending any more, really.
  • rumbataz
    In the end I ended up buying the Castelli Viva Thermo Skully from Wiggle - I just couldn't say no given the sheer number of outstanding reviews for this skull cap. I get a nice discount from Wiggle so ended up paying just over £16. Had a ride this evening with it on and it certainly worked well. Fitted great under my cycling helmet and the moisture wicking was excellent. The thermal properties were amazing given how thin the cap is. It also covered the ears fairly well and kept them warm.

It looks a bit like you're wearing a swimming cap but that didn't bother me too much. Plus, it's my first bit of Castelli kit that was actually fairly affordable.

It's this one here: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-viva-thermo-skully-1/
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I've been wearing a Sealskinz waterproof scull cap on the MTB for years and it's faultless.
    I used it on the road last winter and even at -7 my head and ears were warm.Above freezing and it might be too warm for road use though.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    A headband is an interesting idea. I'll take a look, thanks.

Yup - if sweat is the issue, a headband will stop your head getting so hot whilst stopping your ears freezing. I used to use a Buff cut in two (a full buff was too thick) but then I bought a Pearl Izumi headband and it was much better.

My ears are perfectly tuned to freezing which is useful - when my ears start to hurt, I know ice is a possibility :lol:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rumbataz
    I hate getting my ears cold!

We had a surprisingly mild day down South today so I'll need to wait until proper cooler weather arrives to fully evaluate the cap.