Garmin speed sensor

mark_foden
mark_foden Posts: 89
edited October 2015 in Road general
Potentially silly question- can I pair multiple speed sensors with my garmin 520 ?, I share the head unit but don't want to have to keep changing the speed sensor around, is there a limit to the qty of sensors / types you can pair ?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Do you use it on a turbo? If not it really doesn't matter as the gps track is pretty good at giving an accurate speed without the sensor.

I have the 510 and I if I create 2 profiles in it, it remembers the sensor setup on each bike. I.e summer bike is profile 1 with the newer type sensor setup with the accelerometer in them and winter bike as profile 2 with the old magnet type sensor.
  • Was planning on using it on a turbo
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    Just a thought on this: would you need to set the wheel size as the auto mode requires the GPS to work out the wheel size?
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Just a thought on this: would you need to set the wheel size as the auto mode requires the GPS to work out the wheel size?
    That or ride long enough (not that long) for the size to auto calculate then leave it
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    The new speed and cadence sensors just bungee on, with a rubber band. Takes 10 seconds to swap them over onto a different bike. I take it if you have another road bike it has the same diameter wheels and crank arm length.

IMG_3035_thumb.jpg

garmin-speed-sensor.jpg
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    The new speed and cadence sensors just bungee on, with a rubber band. Takes 10 seconds to swap them over onto a different bike. I take it if you have another road bike it has the same diameter wheels and crank arm length.

what does crank arm length have to do with it?

I currently have 5 speed/cadence sensors paired to my garmin edge with no issues, if you don't set the wheel size and are using it on a turbo, set it to manual and it uses a standard size.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Anonymous
    Just to clarify,

You can pair more than one setup in the Garmin. All you need to do is create a profile each for every bike you have. In each make sure the sensors have been found when searching for them. So, when you do swap onto another bike its simply a case of picking said bikes profile and it will auto recognise the settings you inputted.

I have 3 bikes, Chris has managed 5 so there is no risk of you not having enough setup options.
  • chris_bass
    Just to clarify,

You can pair more than one setup in the Garmin. All you need to do is create a profile each for every bike you have. In each make sure the sensors have been found when searching for them. So, when you do swap onto another bike its simply a case of picking said bikes profile and it will auto recognise the settings you inputted.

I have 3 bikes, Chris has managed 5 so there is no risk of you not having enough setup options.

On the newer ones you don't need a seperate profile, it just uses whichever it finds
  • Anonymous
    Just to clarify,

On the newer ones you don't need a seperate profile, it just uses whichever it finds

I take it thats the 520 upwards. Does that not cause it to pick up other peoples sensors if you turn it on near other people? I remember having that happen alot with the 500 as I would end up picking up other peoples hrm or cadence sensor where the 510 just picked up what was last used unless i made it search new devices
  • NeXXus
    Just to clarify,

I take it thats the 520 upwards. Does that not cause it to pick up other peoples sensors if you turn it on near other people? I remember having that happen alot with the 500 as I would end up picking up other peoples hrm or cadence sensor where the 510 just picked up what was last used unless i made it search new devices
    No you still have to pair the sensor but they aren't paired to a bike profile, they're paired to the unit. Whichever sensor you wake, will be the one used when the ride is started
  • Anonymous
    Just to clarify,

No you still have to pair the sensor but they aren't paired to a bike profile, they're paired to the unit. Whichever sensor you wake, will be the one used when the ride is started

Is that not a step backwards? I know that if I select my summer bikes profile I will pick up its sensors. If I select my winter bike I will pick up its sensors and if I go on the wattbike it knows immediately and picks up the power meter readings. I don't get interference from other units cos it doesn't search and find units it doesn't know
  • NeXXus
    No not really when I can swap a new style **speed cadence sensor combo between any bike without worrying that its paired to a bike profile.

**which could also be power meter whether wheel crank or pedal based
  • Anonymous
    No not really when I can swap a new style **speed cadence sensor combo between any bike without worrying that its paired to a bike profile.

**which could also be power meter whether wheel crank or pedal based

Is that not the same thing? by saying a bike profile I am just meaning the sensors attached to it. The bike has nothing to do with it really. But the whole point is why keep swapping sensors around if you have a set on each bike anyway?
  • NeXXus
    Because I saved myself a fortune by buying one set and swap them between bikes.
  • Anonymous

Thats fine for you. You do not need to worry about swapping sensors which was the OP's original problem.

This is to do with those that do have more than one bike or in the OP's case share with another user where the configuration needs to be changed accordingly.
  • NeXXus

Thats fine for you. You do not need to worry about swapping sensors which was the OP's original problem.

This is to do with those that do have more than one bike or in the OP's case share with another user where the configuration needs to be changed accordingly.
    The 520 has sensor pooling and activity profiles. There is no issue, you can pair as many speed sensors as you can afford
  • chris_bass
    Just to clarify,

Is that not a step backwards? I know that if I select my summer bikes profile I will pick up its sensors. If I select my winter bike I will pick up its sensors and if I go on the wattbike it knows immediately and picks up the power meter readings. I don't get interference from other units cos it doesn't search and find units it doesn't know

no it is much better.

you don't have to select a profile, just move your winter bike's wheel and it automatically selects that sensor, move your summer bike and it selects that one (or asks if you want to swap if it is already paired with a different sensor).
    No messing about with bike profiles at all.
  • Anonymous
    Does that mean it knows which sensor has already been previously paired to it then?

By this I mean will it know to not just pair with someone elses sensors if you were out on a group ride and others are in range?
  • NeXXus
    Does that mean it knows which sensor has already been previously paired to it then?

By this I mean will it know to not just pair with someone elses sensors if you were out on a group ride and others are in range?
    Yes. No garmin does this
  • Anonymous

Yes. No garmin does this

I beg to differ. My old 500 used to keep picking up other peoples sensors all the time.
  • NeXXus
    Whatever :D they dont just pair with devices on other peoples bikes of their own accord. Elements of user error at play
  • Anonymous
    Whatever :D they dont just pair with devices on other peoples bikes of their own accord. Elements of user error at play

You press the button to turn it on. It then pairs with a hrm. But wait its not mine is someone elses. In pressing the power on button I am guilty of user error. Really
  • NeXXus

You press the button to turn it on. It then pairs with a hrm. But wait its not mine is someone elses. In pressing the power on button I am guilty of user error. Really
    :lol:
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I think Garmin sensors can only send data to one device at a time. So if you pair the sensor with your bike computer other devices will not be able to pair with the sensor.
  • NeXXus
    I think Garmin sensors can only send data to one device at a time. So if you pair the sensor with your bike computer other devices will not be able to pair with the sensor.
    Incorrect
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    With the 520 it'll pick up any sensors within range and list them using the ID number, you then have the choice of pairing with all of them or selecting those you want to pair. If it's just your sensors in range then you select all and it'll pair with them. If not then you need to move out of range of the others or if you know your sensors ID number then you just select that one.

If you're using a Wattbike and there's others within range then you probably can't move the bike, in that case you'll need the bikes ID number, which is at the bottom of the info screen, and that should correspond to the sensors your Garmin is picking up, you then just need to select those.

You also have the option of naming the sensors instead of having the ID number which might make it easier to recognise them in the future.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • chris_bass

On my old 500 it did pick up HR monitors but only if you had HR set to 'On' and you had no heart rate monitor paired at the time. On the newer ones it doesn't do this and if you have had a heart rate monitor paired and it senses another (which was previously paired) it will ask if you want to swap.
    For speed, cadence etc, you have to pair the sensors and it will only link to ones previously paired and again if it is currently using one sensor and finds another of the same type of sensor it will ask if you want to switch.

you can send data to more than one device at a time, when on the turbo I sometimes have the edge 1000 and 500 paired at the same time (for no other reason than it saves changing pages on either device and i like looking at numbers, helps pass the time!)
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Incorrect

Quite right, I stand corrected. Just tried & paired my cadence sensor with both watch & gps with both recording data at the same time.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Incorrect

Quite right, I stand corrected. Just tried & paired my cadence sensor with both watch & gps with both recording data at the same time.

My Vivosmart picks up the HRM and speed at the same time as my 810 and Virb camera with no issues.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.