Buying first bike and recomended different sizes

FSITR
FSITR Posts: 18
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello, I'm buying my first road bike which is for a long cycle next year (~900 mile over 9 days), as I'm a student my budget is fairly tight and i have narrowed it down to either:

Giant Defy 5: Recommended size M/L

Cannondale Synpapse Sora: recommended 58" at one store and 56" at another

I don't know my exact measurements as in inside leg etc. I just went along to the shop and tried them out and took their advice. As I'm new to all of this it's very difficult to know which feels better, especially between the 56" and 58", even when jumping between the two.

Can anyone tell me if it is better to have a bike that is slightly larger or slighter smaller than it should be?
Or am I best getting my exact measurement and looking at it from that perspective?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hello, I'm buying my first road bike which is for a long cycle next year (~900 mile over 9 days), as I'm a student my budget is fairly tight and i have narrowed it down to either:

Giant Defy 5: Recommended size M/L

Cannondale Synpapse Sora: recommended 58" at one store and 56" at another

I don't know my exact measurements as in inside leg etc. I just went along to the shop and tried them out and took their advice. As I'm new to all of this it's very difficult to know which feels better, especially between the 56" and 58", even when jumping between the two.

Can anyone tell me if it is better to have a bike that is slightly larger or slighter smaller than it should be?
    Or am I best getting my exact measurement and looking at it from that perspective?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

First a couple of questions that might help others advise you with a little more confidence.

How tall are you in ft and inches (or metres if imperial measures are a step too far)

What size trousers do you normally buy in terms of leg length (29",31", 33"??). It may not be exactly accurate as a bike fit inside leg usually is but it will be close enough to allow some assumptions.

With these measurements it will give people some sort of guide to the size you require.

However there is no substitute for actually riding some different sizes to see what feels right and what doesn't. If the bike shop won't let you test ride some different sizes then walk away and find one that will.

As to your final question - it is considered better to err on the small side if you are between sizes. It is much easier to tweak a small frame to fit a bigger rider (fit a longer stem, longer seat post etc) than to make a frame that is too big fit a smaller rider.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As a rough guide it is easy to adjust a bike that is a little small to fit but very hard to make a bike that is too large fit.

Your height will be a rough guide but your cycling inseam is the best guide. On the web sites advise how to measure your inseam and also how it is used to calculate frame size. If you look at the manufacturers sizing guides they will help.

Generally just making it into the bottom of size means the bike is too big for you. I am very tall but ride 61cm framed bike as i have relatively short legs.
  • FSITR
    Firstly thanks for the quick and helpful replies. I usually buy 32" length but i will measure properly my inside leg this evening when i get home, also I am 6'1" tall. The Giant size guide recommends M/L so for my size so its just the Synapse I am thinking about now.

All that is left to do now is make a decision between these bikes I'll be sorted!!
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Just to throw a spanner in your decision making, can you increase your budget to the Defy 4 model which has a fork with carbon blades, like the Cannondale Synapse?
  • FSITR
    Something I hadn't considered, I've just spotted it on Rutland cycles for £375. I guess they are all dropping in price as the 2016 models are coming out

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/284978/products/2015-giant-defy-4-road-bike-white-black.aspx?origin=pla_with_promotion&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=Cj0KEQjw2KyxBRCi2rK11NCDw6UBEiQAO-tljVKqPTrkTvh2vUe9k80NyXy0XnRgpt-WboE5OyJS-t0aAkoa8P8HAQ