Garmin Vector Firmware issues

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited October 2015 in Road general
The latest firmware patch to cure the 3.50 issues of bad data capture which started in very early summer is still not on general release... still in Beta.
There is nothing intrinsically wrong with pedal based power meters at all... they are very convenient.

However, the battle being 'fought' by Garmin is being lost to Powertap P1 in fact, I think the war has actually been lost by Garmin....

So tempted to get my pedals up on Ebay now and recoup some of my losses

Comments

• nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    The latest firmware patch to cure the 3.50 issues of bad data capture which started in very early summer is still not on general release... still in Beta.
    There is nothing intrinsically wrong with pedal based power meters at all... they are very convenient.

However, the battle being 'fought' by Garmin is being lost to Powertap P1 in fact, I think the war has actually been lost by Garmin....

To balance out the argument, with only a sample size of 2 but about 14000 kms between us, my racing buddy and I have had no issues with either Vector 1S or Vector 2S pedals over the past 12 months.
  • jgsi
    I agree, some have been lucky... your Vectors on 3.50?
    Mine previous to that were fantastic and gave excellent data... however,two races with dropouts this season .. p me off no end and then Garmin owned up to the fact they had cocked up.
  • I'm the same as nicklong. I've been running a Vector 1S since early spring with the latest firmware upgrades to both the pedal and my 810, thousands of miles ridden and no issues at all. I've also been riding Zipp's since 2013 and I'm still alive. Guess I'm just lucky!
  • The latest firmware patch to cure the 3.50 issues of bad data capture which started in very early summer is still not on general release... still in Beta.

How much do you want for them?
  • jgsi

How much do you want for them?
    well I have waited what seems an eternity for the update, I shall persevere and hopefully get a trusty PM again.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I've had my vectors 2 months after launch, since been updated to vector 2 with the upgrade kit. They had their quirks but, broadly, were reliable until 3.5 came out (April of this year). As you say there is now a beta fix out which appears (at least for me) to have made my product work again, it took five months for garmin to get there. During that time I had two A events without power and crappy readings all season which made most of my training data useless.

For a company of the scale of garmin I think their response and time to fix was pathetic. From a personal point of view I'm advising people to steer clear and now have a power2max on my main bike, so far that's been bullet proof albeit on a short sample.
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    About 5k miles on mine the occasional drop-out has happened a couple of times and the left pedal is a bit loose than the right. But they work perfectly. I didn't update the firmware. I'm old school and years of bricked motherboards, drives, software has tought me not to update unless it is needed and let other poor sods test it - as you have done. :wink: