Bike Storage

simong81
simong81 Posts: 19
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I have a storage issue, between me and my step son we now have 10 bikes in the garage. 2 are used daily the others weekends etc.

The problem is 10 bikes takes up so much room, what do you use and what would you recommend to store them and save space?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    I hang my bikes in the garage by the front of the saddle. Fortunately I have a pitched roof with braces across which allow them to just hook over (I've added a bit of old carpet to the top of each so the front of the underside of the saddle does not get damaged). If I had a flat ceiling I would have fixed a bar (scaffold pole) 6 inches below to serve the same purpose.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    I hang my bikes in the garage by the front of the saddle.
    This is the simple solution and before I got wall hangers I used to do this. Be aware of bending the saddle rails though, I managed to (cheap saddle, heavy winter bike)
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    I have a 5% pitch roof, and use 8 hooks similar to these:
    bicycle-wall-mounted-stand-wall-font-b-hook-b-font-wall-stand-bike-font-b-display.jpg

If you are prepared to hang some bikes front wheel up, some front wheel down, and some at different heights, then you can cram them in more tightly than you might think.

But you will need to do some experimentation to see what gapping and height works best.

I am fully aware that you can safely hang a bike solely off the front wheel, but I like the wheel nearest the ground to either be resting on the ground, or on a few bricks if it's further up the wall.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18