KMC Quick links

bbrap
bbrap Posts: 610
edited October 2015 in Workshop
I've always used KMC links on my 10 speed and re-used them many times without problem. I've just bought some for my Shimano 11 speed and I've noticed that they specifically say non-reuseable. Is this really the case or are they just as re-useable as the older 9 & 10 speed ones? Cos they aint cheap and I usually take my chain off every 3 months or so for a proper clean & lube.
Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
Van Raam 'O' Pair
Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I've always used KMC links on my 10 speed and re-used them many times without problem. I've just bought some for my Shimano 11 speed and I've noticed that they specifically say non-reuseable. Is this really the case or are they just as re-useable as the older 9 & 10 speed ones? Cos they aint cheap and I usually take my chain off every 3 months or so for a proper clean & lube.
    note that KMC do two versions of their 10spd single use and a few times use.

if the 11spd is single use then i would not really push it to far if you can get it open to re use.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I don't think any 11 speed quick links are reusable :?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I use Srams powerlocks. You can get a pack of 4 (8 plates) at evans for 13 quid.

You can get about 3 or 4 uses out of them which equates to a few months use if you clean your chain regularly. There are enough to last a year so not too bad for the price. I always keep a spare set in my pocket when I ride. And they dont rust like the KMC ones do.
  • bbrap
    I use Srams powerlocks. You can get a pack of 4 (8 plates) at evans for 13 quid.

You can get about 3 or 4 uses out of them which equates to a few months use if you clean your chain regularly. There are enough to last a year so not too bad for the price. I always keep a spare set in my pocket when I ride. And they dont rust like the KMC ones do.

That sounds like an excellent plan. Hi Ho Hi Ho it's off to Evans I go :)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
  • bbrap
    Just looked at the Sram links in Evans, Says for SRAM chains only. Miglia Rosa, Have you used them on 11sp Ultegra chains without problems?
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just looked at the Sram links in Evans, Says for SRAM chains only. Miglia Rosa, Have you used them on 11sp Ultegra chains without problems?

It will work. SRAM only say that cos they want you to buy their chains. If its shimano/sram drivetrain they are all interchangeable be it sram, shimano, kmc or any other brand chain or link. They all work exactly the same.

As far as links are concerned the chain they connect to is irrelevant since the link only connects to itself. The chain connection is just a hole for the link to pass through. And since the hole is the same dimensions regardless of branding it will make no difference.
  • bbrap
    Many thanks
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
  • I use KMC quicklinks on my Ultegra 11 speed chains. I have reused them many times, as I remove my chain for cleaning or shipment. I guess the most I have even opened and closed one is around 20 times, but I havent counted.

I always use the special pliers to open them, apart from emergencies when a tap with a multitool does the job.