Reverb stealth - worth the extra?

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
Have saved some pennies for a dropper, and now being indecisive about stealth or non-stealth.

Is it worth the extra £50 or so premium?

Matt
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• My understanding is you're frame would need to be able to have the cable routing option, otherwise it's redundant.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • larkim
    Yes of course, that's a given. And my frame is compatible.

So is it worth it?
  • John Wh
    John Wh Posts: 239
    Well, if your frame is compatible, then it's more about opinion. If you think hiding the hose inside the frame is worth the extra £50, the go for it.

Personally, I would. Much less chance of snagging it or breaking on a crash.
  • stretchy
    stretchy Posts: 149
    Depends how much the OP values the hidden hose. Nobody can answer but you.
  • larkim
    I'm not sure the hidden from view aspect is good, and agree that that is just an aesthetic perspective. But I have seen observations about the hidden hose having operational advantages (i.e. protected from muck / stones, and doesn't suffer from having a big loop compressing / uncompressing behind the seat post), so was wondering whether any of those were real world issues, or if the Stealth was just a "stealthy" way to nick money from consumer's wallets.

Ordered the stealth now anyway, having found it at £196 delivered on Alltricks, so only a few quid higher than I was expecting to be paying for the non-stealth version,
  • I have the reverb wich when broke I managed to fix as for my mate who has stealth when his broke on a particular ride ended his ride
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For me the benefit of the stealth is not aesthetics, it's losing the exposed loop of hose that can snag, either causing immediate riding problems (you fall off) or damaging it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • loudog
    loudog Posts: 136
    get the stealth. You will instantly forget about the £50 once its installed
    It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike