Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Ok, I bite. Doha? GTF.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,590
    3998596-dr-evil.jpg
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151
    Seems pretty fair. The provinces have their say on their local matters and we have our say on our matters. Not sure what the big fuss is about.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    exactly, disproportionate influence for the regions that sought self governance can't be right
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
  • Another once in a generation independence vote for Scotland. I can see a lot v of positives but it's a no from me. Purely on the grounds it's a bodge job to keep power at Westminster not another assembly or parliament. It's a nothing idea that appeals to those Englanders who are afraid of pushing for English parliament or English regional parliaments. The northern powerhouse mayoral carp and other mayoral cities is a diffusion of any real federalist argument.

IMHO we have been sleepwalking into a fake federalist format without any kind of rational thought. It's been about appeasing certain groups and ignoring others because they've been politically silent or just don't vote your way in as safe or predictable way. IMHO Blair messed up and instead of a full and open debate on our governmental system he gave a region their devolution referendum. I always felt there should have been some kind of national discussion on union wide devolution to a federal system. A royal commission perhaps.

Blair gave power to the Nats where there was little with devolution referendum in Scotland. Time to finish his devolution work with a rational federalist system. He broke it let's fix it as best as it can be fixed with a fair and equal system across the whole union.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Correct me if I'm incorrect but this "major constitutional change" seems to have happened very quietly...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Correct me if I'm incorrect but this "major constitutional change" seems to have happened very quietly...

It's been coming for a while. Perhaps not as big an issue as it should be in the media.

It's interesting that the Government continue to use devolution as a reason for this change yet it would be so easy to interfere with, at least Wales', devolution aspects in very many ways. They also continue to hold, even on devolution matters, things like the intervention power in relation to water (in Wales).

What's also interesting is that UK wide legislation that affects Wales and Scotland requires a legislative consent order (from their respective Parliaments). There's trouble brewing there in relation to the welfare system and the unions Bill. Big constitutional stuff coming there. Quite exciting. But, yes, this Government has either no intent to retain the Scots or are just plain dumb. Probably the latter.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Stevo_666
    Correct me if I'm incorrect but this "major constitutional change" seems to have happened very quietly...
    I was surprised that it didnt get more coverage in the media, although as most people in England probably agree with the move, it hasnt caused too much uproar.

That said, the 'West Lothian' issue has been around for a long time and it was in the Tory manifesto, so its no real surprise.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Wasn't on most people's agenda prior to the Scottish referendum. The SNP are now reaping what they sowed with their anti English/Westminster/London rhetoric. People down south have roused themselves to consider Barnett and the anomalies of devolution.
    EVEL - Bring it on!
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Wasn't on most people's agenda prior to the Scottish referendum. The SNP are now reaping what they sowed with their anti English/Westminster/London rhetoric. People down south have roused themselves to consider Barnett and the anomalies of devolution.
    EVEL - Bring it on!
    totally agree
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    EVEL - Bring it on!

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the current system, Isnt this just going to lead to futher devolution. and the eventual break up of the union?
  • pblakeney
    EVEL - Bring it on!

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the current system, Isnt this just going to lead to futher devolution. and the eventual break up of the union?
    Would that count as the SNP reaping what they sowed?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    EVEL - Bring it on!

Would that count as the SNP reaping what they sowed?[/quote

ha ha!
  • Simple question, is the union worth.saving?

Please answer based on national viewpoint, i. e. a Welsh, English, Scottish and northern Irish perspective. National perspective not individual party perspective. Would each nation be significantly better off, not much difference after the dust settles or worse off.

I have a feeling that Scotland and England would end up better off. Wales and northern Ireland have a lot going for them but I think worse off. Certainly for some time at least. Wales has issues with rural access to services. Things like hospital is problematic without access to English hospitals. Where are the big hospitals? Bangor, Cardiff, Swansea probably have big hospitals. Aber? Where in mid Wales?

Northern Ireland will have real issues with republicans going for joining with the republic with agusto. I actually fear for violence coming back more than its been in recent years.

This is all off topic but evel and differential distribution of powers all feeds into either separation or common sense coming into play to strengthen the union with fair solution such as a full federalization. Just my opinion without evidence or facts (typical forum opinion I suppose).
  • pblakeney
    My guess would be that if any Country is to end up better off, then it would be England but only a while after the dust settled.
    The Scots would probably be worse off but (some/most?) would be happier as lets face it, their politics are very removed from Westminster.
    The Welsh and Irish would be worse off and yes, I could see N.I. being a basket case.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    North sea oil aint gonna last too much longer.

I dont think there should have been any devolution, but if you are going to do it, you need to do it for every country, ideally exactly the same for every country.
  • the Scots (SNP) started all of this- and now it a one way street - would have been better if they had voted yes and we could re-build the wall
  • Stevo_666
    My guess would be that if any Country is to end up better off, then it would be England but only a while after the dust settled.
    The Scots would probably be worse off but (some/most?) would be happier as lets face it, their politics are very removed from Westminster.
    The Welsh and Irish would be worse off and yes, I could see N.I. being a basket case.
    Probably not far wrong, which is why the English are not too worried if it does happen. If the SNP wants to saw off the branch it is sitting on, let them.

What I don't get is why EVEL should drive the Scots to independence. It's only mirroring their voting arrangements on pure Scots issues; and why should they be concerned with voting on English only matters?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    What I don't get is why EVEL should drive the Scots to independence. It's only mirroring their voting arrangements on pure Scots issues; and why should they be concerned with voting on English only matters?

when they had no power in the uk parliament, they whined about how it wasn't fair that it made decisions about scotland

of course now that they've got a fair number of mps there, suddenly it's something they want to be part of, so that they can do exactly what they whined about, hypocrisy or lust for power, take your pick

personally i think we need to get rid of half the mps, there're far too many for the population, and to claim they are representative of their constituents is a joke

we also need a brutal crackdown on corruption in local government and various local/regional agencies

well, i can dream, sigh
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ballysmate
    EVEL - Bring it on!

Don't think it will lead to break up of Union. SNP gave it its best shot last time and came up short. Even if the majority were in favour of independence, the realisation that they would have to revert to the groat and that it would be extremely hard, caused them to pause before leaping into the abyss. The vaunted white paper turned out to be complete fiction and I don't think the Scots would be so easily fooled again.
  • pblakeney
    of course now that they've got a fair number of mps there, suddenly it's something they want to be part of, so that they can do exactly what they whined about, hypocrisy or lust for power, take your pick
    56 out of 650?
    Not really going to make any difference.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,225
    Useful Westminster politicking rule for the Tories which in reality had little impact on the way England was governed; They've essentially ruled out the part of the country that never votes for them out of rulings for the main rump of the UK.

If they did the same for London too they'd be quids in; devolve a few more powers to the London Mayor - whine about a new 'London West-Lothian' problem and remove that rump of MPs too.
  • ballysmate
    EVEL - Bring it on!

Don't think it will lead to break up of Union. SNP gave it its best shot last time and came up short. Even if the majority were in favour of independence, the realisation that they would have to revert to the groat and that it would be extremely hard, caused them to pause before leaping into the abyss. The vaunted white paper turned out to be complete fiction and I don't think the Scots would be so easily fooled again.

SNP know that they failed to make economic case. Nothing has changed in that regard, so there will be no break up.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/salmond-aide-yes-campaign-lost-on-economic-case-1-3921118#axzz3pZIhbjh6
  • sungod
    56 out of 650?

where did i say they'd make a difference? that's not the point

the point is that after years of whining, suddenly they like being there and want to do exactly what they complained about
  • pblakeney
    56 out of 650?

the point is that after years of whining, suddenly they like being there and want to do exactly what they complained about
    Sorry, I latched on to the power part. They have none in Westminster.
    Please explain what they want to do that they complained about?
    The SNP have always said the West Lothian question was a stupid situation and supported the idea of EVEL. AFAIK.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • sungod
    56 out of 650?

The SNP have always said the West Lothian question was a stupid situation and supported the idea of EVEL. AFAIK.

yep, but last week they were whining about evel, seems they had a change of heart

in the past they whined incessantly about the "westminster government", seemingly not understanding that it's actually the uk government and that this is a democracy where minorities don't get to dictate to the majority

they are now part of what they whined about, they're still whining

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=snp+mp+whine+about+english+votes+for+english+laws
  • pblakeney
    56 out of 650?

yep, but last week they were whining about evel, seems they had a change of heart

in the past they whined incessantly about the "westminster government", seemingly not understanding that it's actually the uk government and that this is a democracy where minorities don't get to dictate to the majority

they are now part of what they whined about, they're still whining

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=snp+mp+whine+about+english+votes+for+english+laws
    Ah. I thought it may have been something serious.
    I thought the SNP made it quite clear from the outset that their MO would be to go against the Conservatives at any available moment. The only thing they could do to surprise me is to vote with the Conservatives.
    In the meantime, their whining doesn't amount to didly squat.
    Veronese68 wrote: