Couple of Lezyne front lights on offer at CRC

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,584
edited November 2015 in Commuting chat
Evening all,

just got suckered by the sale and the discount codes and have ordered the following:

Lezyne Deca Drive Front Light YR8 - £140 down to £80 (Plenty left)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lezyne-deca-drive-front-light-yr8/rp-prod134641
Product-LED-Deca-zoom3.jpg
Lezyne Mega Drive 1000L Front Light "Loaded" 2013 - £200 down to £108 - only 1 left
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lezyne-mega-drive-1000l-front-light-loaded-2013/rp-prod86386
prod86387_IMGSET?wid=500&hei=505

I am after a light to be a bit brighter than my Phillips saferide thingy, which is excellent, but as I am planning some night time rides in the depths of winter, I have found the run time, especially on high is a little deficient.
I spend very little time in towns, and lit areas, my rides are mainly unlit country roads, with plenty of pot holes, so there is a requirement for some more light.

I won't be blinding oncoming drivers (I always check my setups by getting someone to ride the bike towards me, so I can see what a driver would see), so want the ability to dip, and or reduce the power of the light easily.
Oh and I might well use them for night rides on the mtb offroad too.

Now out of the two, one is 2013, and one is yr8, but as I do not know when yr1 was, that doesn't overly help me.

One says it runs on 18650's, and the other one does not say, but comes with 2 batteries.

So I have no idea which if either is the superior model - can obviously take a look when they arrive, and send, one or both back, but just wondered if anyone with more light and battery knowledge than me could spot the better candidate?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• They have similar outputs regardless of lumen counts. Here's the thing though. Buy a spare battery for the Deca and you'll pay £105 ish.

Get the loaded. That spare battery is worth it.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Oh, and get an old style iPad charger for quick charge
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks BTR, much appreciated!

Both are now on their way, if the Deca takes my fancy enough, will order the Loaded version.

Reviews seem mixed, but mostly positive.

Lot of choice out there now.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    I'm interested to know if either performs better than the SafeRide one, let us know?
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • daniel_b
    I'm interested to know if either performs better than the SafeRide one, let us know?

FYI, I have been fairly impressed with both the lights, but am sending both back, as I have found Freeborn bikes have the Deca loaded for £85 delivered.

Would have received it tomorrow, but have asked them to delay until Tuesday as I am wfh that day - will update in due course.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ic.

FYI, I have been fairly impressed with both the lights, but am sending both back, as I have found Freeborn bikes have the Deca loaded for £85 delivered.

Would have received it tomorrow, but have asked them to delay until Tuesday as I am wfh that day - will update in due course.

Would you say the Deca is noticeably brighter or longer lasting that the SafeRide, or have you not tested yet? Interested in the Deca at that price, but not if it's no better than the saferide, which is pretty good tbf

Thanks

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • daniel_b

Would you say the Deca is noticeably brighter or longer lasting that the SafeRide, or have you not tested yet? Interested in the Deca at that price, but not if it's no better than the saferide, which is pretty good tbf

Thanks

Not had a proper chance to compare yet, definitely not on runtime, but will do so next week when it arrives - was impressed enough by the feel of the device to order one, especialyl for £85 with the spare battery, and improved mount - plus the case to keep it all in is a bonus.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2015
    It arrived today, and charged in good time.

Comparing in the dark, I would say it is on a par with the Saferide - I think the magic of the saferide is the reflector it uses, it magnifies the light output well beyond that which it should really manage.

I will try them on the bike soon, and do a proper comparison, but at the moment I feel it's not streets ahead in terms of light output, although it should of course, last longer.

Bracket mount thing is a bit strange as well.

*Weird thing this forum is doing - I am typing "should o f course" but it is displaying as 'should have course"
    I have put O and F with a space inbetween, as otherwise it converts it to have.

When I am in edit mode it shows as 'should of course' - bizarre.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ic.
    Thanks for the update

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    *Weird thing this forum is doing - I am typing "should o f course" but it is displaying as 'should have course"

When I am in edit mode it shows as 'should have course' - bizarre.
    Presumably done to correct people using of when they should use "he should of done it like this"
    What happens if you put a comma in to make "you should, of course, do it like this".
    Yes, that works. You should've used a comma. :mrgreen:
    Apologies, wasn't just being a pedantic twunt was also curious to see what worked.
  • daniel_b

Presumably done to correct people using of when they should use "he should have done it like this"
    What happens if you put a comma in to make "you should, of course, do it like this".
    Apologies, wasn't just being a pedantic twunt was also curious to see what worked.

No not at all, clearly the forum knows it grammer better than I :oops:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699

Presumably done to correct people using of when they should use "he should have done it like this"

comma after 'No'
    *grammar
    *its
    *me

igmc
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • daniel_b

comma after 'No'
    *grammar
    *its
    *me

igmc

One will retrieve ones coat!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    one's
  • fearby
    fearby Posts: 245
    How do these lights from big names compare to the eBay jobbies that are usually half the price?
    Better build quality? Better lighting?
  • imatfaal
    How do these lights from big names compare to the eBay jobbies that are usually half the price?
    Better build quality? Better lighting?

I have had to send 3 lezyne lights back for repair - amazingly each time they have been fixed. I lost two of my favourites when a bag was nicked so moved onto a different brand: Exposure. Slightly more pricey but made here in UK, more difficult to use but more features, beautifully constructed, and so far rock-solid.

Borrow some different lights from mates and see how you get on with them - and buy them for what you actually do, not for what you hope to do one day, possibly, in the future
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    buy them for what you actually do, not for what you hope to do one day, possibly, in the future
    Bro, do you even cycle?

If I followed that advice I'd have significantly more money and far more space in my house
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • imatfaal
    buy them for what you actually do, not for what you hope to do one day, possibly, in the future
    Bro, do you even cycle?

If I followed that advice I'd have significantly more money and far more space in my house

I have two bikes, three helmets, four sets of shoes,five... and more castelli than is strictly healthy - and one day I may actually get out and try cycling :-)

I have turned over a new leaf and am flogging stuff on ebay - my bikes+bike related paraphernalia is actually decreasing.

This was the contents of my office bike cupboard not too long ago - and there were two bikes just out of picture
    22200539134_d3c4a44cc6_k.jpg

and I have just found out that this was outside my office window last night
    22431114859_5841e5f465_z.jpg
  • Hello Lezyne Light User,

I decided after reading a number of online reviews re: choosing Front Lights to purchase the current Lezyne Super
    Drive Y8 (700 lumens). Then after shopping around I discovered Tweeks Cycles had the best deal @ £70. Ordered it
    and was disappointed when it arrived. It wouldn't charge using my Apple iPad USB plug ( the manual/instructions
    tell you to connect using the USB on your PC), only have an iPad, no PC plus review comments allude to the great
    amount of time (5-8 hours) charging via USB on computer. Also, the end cap was done up so god damn tight. Sent it back, and am currently awaiting its return, fixed I hope.

Let me know, and others out there who might read this whether these expensive lights are really worth it?

I still have a Cateye Opicube EL320 Front Light, works fairly well, batteries seem to last ages, cost £30.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Chris L
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,705

That's a hangover from a long time ago when mods could get in the innards on the forum (before my time).

A mod (can't remember who) got fed up with people writing 'should 0f' instead of 'should have' , so whacked it on autocorrect as part of the swear filter.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686

That's a hangover from a long time ago when mods could get in the innards on the forum (before my time).

A mod (can't remember who) got fed up with people writing 'should 0f' instead of 'should have' , so whacked it on autocorrect as part of the swear filter.

I always use should've :lol: