Chossing between 2 hybrids - Boardman or Trek?

MyNameIsEarl
MyNameIsEarl Posts: 37
edited November 2015 in Commuting general
Hi, I'm changing from a 2012 Boardman Comp HT mountain bike to a hybrid and I'd like some help in choosing between these 2 bikes please?

Trek 7.4 FX
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/74-fx-disc-2015-hybrid-bike-ec068200

Boardman Hybrid Team
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-hybrid-team-bike

I had some great advice last time round, so thought I'd ask the experts again :)

I'm choosing a hybrid as I didn't go trail riding as much as I thought I would and am just looking for something more road orientated. Lightness, hydro brakes and a good groupset (along with frame) are the priority.

Thanks.

Comments

• Hi, new here myself, but recently was in the same position.

From my point of view the Boardman is the much the better bike - carbon fork, SRAM Apex gears, compact chain ring, etc. I got mine for £550 and am thoroughly pleased with it. The other bike I was considering was B'Twin's Triban 540, but the Boardman pipped it.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-flat-bar-road-bike-tiagra-id_8322798.html
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    + what sleeper says - Boardman by a mile
  • Thanks for the replies, I've really enjoyed the Boardman MTB, so makes sense to go with the Team Hybrid - I need to see if I can get a ride round the car park.

I'll also check out the Triban, are there any other alternatives I should look at?
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    I bought the triban 540 FB in July after looking at the Boardmans and have no regrets. Great spec for £500, full Tiagra groupset. It is very road oriented though, essentially a road bike frame with flat bars, although it can fit tyres up to 32mm if you require it to be more robust.

But of the 2 bikes you mention, Boardman hands down.
  • ...I feel I read the whole internet and I kept coming back to Decathlons Triban 500 flat bar road bike... In the end, I bought it in January and have not looked back.

For the price, and the spec...it is unbelievable value. And...I love it. I have not seen anything else since that is better value - and, as a bonus, was designed AND built in Europe (not China or the Merrida factory in Taiwan). Not that those are bad...I was just surprised. Of course...you'll be looked down upon by bike snobs...but hey, if they are happy spending more money on lower spec...good luck to then!

SORA gears! aly frame, carbon fork...

Happy to be educated, but not sure I get the need for disc brakes...on a commuting bike. Perhaps if I had them I'd notice...?

I know this doesn't answer your question...but I can't sing the praises of the Triban highly enough.
  • I take it you mean the Triban 520 Yes. It's a very, very good bike for the money - £380 for its spec is crazy, but then so is £500 for the 540's and £600 for the Boardman's.
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • ...actually, it was "last years" Fit 500 ... I see the spec has changed for the current model....but they are, without doubt, outstanding value.

Bearing in mind I'm not all Lycrad up...I'm not wanting to be "head down on the hoods" - I'm commuting....not racing. And I'm 2 stone over weight....I still haven't found a bike of the same spec for the price...

I promise, I don't work for Decathlon! I am just chuffed with my purchase.
  • Hi again, it's funny how things turn out. I tried the Boardman, Trek, and a Specialized Sirrus Elite a few times to see what felt and fit right.

I didn't like the stretched out feeling on the Boardman (I tried and medium and large frame) and I'm not near a Decathlon store, so didn't check out the Triban 540, but also didn't like the idea of a full on road bike with flat bars.

There didn't seem much between the Trek and Sirrus. I also realised I didn't need disc brakes as I don't ride in the wet much. After checking out the Trek another couple of times, I really like the fit, so I ended up with a Trek 7.3 FX, which seemed a bargain at £450.

Happy days. Thanks for all the advice.

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Hi again, it's funny how things turn out. I tried the Boardman, Trek, and a Specialized Sirrus Elite a few times to see what felt and fit right.

I didn't like the stretched out feeling on the Boardman (I tried and medium and large frame) and I'm not near a Decathlon store, so didn't check out the Triban 540, but also didn't like the idea of a full on road bike with flat bars.

There didn't seem much between the Trek and Sirrus. I also realised I didn't need disc brakes as I don't ride in the wet much. After checking out the Trek another couple of times, I really like the fit, so I ended up with a Trek 7.3 FX, which seemed a bargain at £450.

Happy days. Thanks for all the advice.

Love the colour - happy cycling. Report back in a few months and tell us how you find it