best frame and wheel for wheelie manual bunny hops

lchulo
lchulo Posts: 2
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks,

I’m Lorenzo, 34yr. I live in Ireland.

I’m into buying a new mtb (to take benefit of the bike scheme in Ireland).
I’d like to learn manual, wheelie (the classic pedal stroke one) and bunny hops.

I would like to get the best frame and best wheel to learn faster.

Do you have some good piece of advice
as regards the best:

seat tube angle
head tube angle
top tube angle

See the link below for reference to the parts name:
http://bikingface.com/en/tienda/ridley-en/noah-sl-15-cuadro/

As regards the chain stay length,
I understand the shorter it is, the easier it is to do manual and wheelie.

Concerning the wheel, I would go with 26 or 27.5
(although I understand it would be easier on 20 inch wheel but just not practical for commuting)

I was looking for a frame the closer to a bmx;
and I found out that most bmx, and all the trial bikes
like Danny MacAskill’s bike have a really sharp angle for seat tube, top tube and head tube

http://www.bikemag.com/gear/inspired-launches-danny-macaskill-signature-trials-bike/

I don’t want to buy a trial bike or a bmx either (because I want to use my bike for commuting and road trips)

It looks like full suspension mtb have a very sharp
seat tube angle (compared to hardtails) and top tube/head tube either;

if I lock the rear suspension, would that be easier to do manual,
wheelie and bunny hops (compared to hardtails) ?

I would welcome any suggestion.

Cheers.

Lorenzo

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Shorter stays can make it easier to manual and wheel - all else been equal. But axle height counts too - 29ers will be harder than a 26er for a given length. Suspension squatting can make it easier. Bt it really does mostly depend on the rider.

Trials bikes, well they never sit on them. They want the seat forward and out of the way. The step head angle allows quicker handling - he doesn't need the stability of a DH bike, he wants the bike to move quick.

I'd test a few out, but wouldn't make my decision bases solely on getting the front wheel in the air.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a look at the jump bike style framed bikes like GT Chucker and Scott Voltage (not sure what modern equivalents you can still get) as they tend to be a little more compact yet still open enough for decent duration rides.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.