2010 Stumpjumper Comp Headset/Fork Help Please (Pics Inside)

WalterWhite
WalterWhite Posts: 32
edited October 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I recently bought a 2010 Stumpjumper Comp FSR frame used on eBay:

This is the bike now 85% built up, still lots to do:

AZdtFDm.jpg

It came as the frame only with a Cane Creek VP-A62ACM headset:

0EZxaxX.jpg
bW5aFHa.jpg

The seller had already sold the fork which was a Fox Float 130 straight 1 1/8 steerer.

Yesterday I started the process of building up the frame with the parts off my old bike (a 2010 Specialized XC Comp) and all went ok.

I took out the headset bearings (sealed integrated) and cleaned/greased them before installing my fork (Rockshox Recon TK Silver 1 1/8).

The fork install went ok, but there appears to be something wrong somewhere as turning the bars now feels a little grainy/grindy. Thats as best as I can think to describe it. I'm not too fussed an I'll have a better look at the headset later tonight.

My questions are:

1) The (used) Cane Creek headset came with a small silver shim that has clearly been used before, but I couldn't work out where (or if) it needs to be installed.

I'ts the bottom left item in the pic below which I found on google:

canecreekaheadset1.jpg

2) Although the seller says that the old fork was a 1 1/8 steerer (and I actually saw him selling it on eBay and it was indeed 1 1/8 straight), the headtube itself looks like it's tapered and possibly would fit a tapered steerer.

As above, my current 1 1/8 steerer has gone in fine, but can anyone confirm if it will accept a tapered fork? When I did a search on the current Cane Creek headset it says its a "1 1/8 / 1.5" Integrated Sealed Cartridge"

I am wondering if the frame should have a tapered steerer fork mailnly because the base of the frame/headset doesn''t look right with my current Rockshox straight fork:

eQSvmbm.jpg

Sorry to be a little vague, but hopefully someone will be able to help me :)

Any advice would be great guys, I am on the lookout for a replacement Fox Fork on eBay and I would like to know if I can only use a straight steerer or if I can used a tapered with this frame :)

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    2010 Stumpies had 11/8 head tubes. They didn't change to tapered until model year 2012.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • 2010 Stumpies had 11/8 head tubes. They didn't change to tapered until model year 2012.

Perfect :) Thanks very much!
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If it's any help, the original spec is HERE.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • If it's any help, the original spec is HERE.

Thanks! :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812

1) The (used) Cane Creek headset came with a small silver shim that has clearly been used before, but I couldn't work out where (or if) it needs to be installed.

I'ts the bottom left item in the pic below which I found on google:
    I can't see the image through my company firewall, but you need a crown race, have you fitted one to the forks, grinding is the usual result of not fitting it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The thin spacer sits on top of the tapered split part, then the top cap/seal goes on last.
    The spacer is to space the cap to stop it fouling the frame and producing grinding sensation you are talking about.
    Use it if you need it, don't if you don't.
    You obviously need it.