OT: Online camera shops UK?

Wheelspinner
Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
edited October 2015 in The cake stop
Any recommendations for a good UK based camera retailer that sells online? BH Photo in the U.S. is great, but like all US based sellers their freight charges are silly. Given the UK bike parts shops are excellent I'm wondering if the same service applies in cameras and accessories?
Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS

Comments

• I've used Warehouse Express in the past and found them to be good.
  • Wheelspinner
    They have a good range, but looks like they won't ship outside UK...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775
    Wouldn't you be better off looking at the Eastern Nations in the first place?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    For camera bits it might be worth looking at the Hong Kong based shops such as Digital Rev. They will probably ship anywhere in the world.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Calumet (if they're still around?)
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Calumet are still around and are good, if the OP is (as he appears to be) in Australia, why not have a look more locally?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Wheelspinner
    Oh I've looked locally and there's plenty of choice, was just curious if there were better options elsewhere - certainly more range in stock. But mainly was interested to see if the prices were much different as they are in bike parts.

Example: a few years back, I needed a new Campag SR front derailleur, 11 speed. Rang LBS who usually do me pretty good prices.
    "RRP is $449. I have one in stock, you can have for $370" (That was about 200 pounds at the time, for a front mech!)

I checked online, ordered one from Ribble, which landed on my desk 6 days later, for $147, shipped.

It's improved lately, with local prices now a lot more competitive, but bike stuff is often still waaaaay cheaper from the UK (CRC, Merlin, Ribble et al) than local suppliers, and much better deals than the US sellers.

Interesting though that checking that Warehouse Express place.... your prices are broadly the same as ours, exchange rates and tax adjusted. Digital Rev are actually dearer than I can buy in a bricks/mortar shop here too before shipping cost is added.

Calumet look expensive! One cross check... Sony RX100 Mk IV is 849 pounds... that's about $1900 AUD, can buy for about $1300 here in a shop...

Maybe consumer electronics aren't such a good idea to buy this way. Will check accessories prices, but looks like a dud idea. :-)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I've had happy experiences with Bristol Cameras. They have a proper shop in Bristol too though that's tiny!
    Faster than a tent.......