Photochromic Glasses

mtbjunkie08
mtbjunkie08 Posts: 192
edited November 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
I'm finding that my current Oakley Half Jacket XLJ Persimmon Transition lenses don't really go clear enough in Winter low-light/Night riding so am looking to replace with something that go clearer and Photochromic.
I also want something with a Full-Frame as I feel it will suit me better, I have quite a large head/wide face.
I dont want to spend a fortune (£50-£70) so I've narrowed it down to the options below and would appreciate any owners of these commenting on their overall performance but particularly how clear they go.

Endura Shumba / Gabbro
Alpina Twist Four 2.0
Tifosi Dolomite (although I have read they fog up too easily)

Also open to other suggestions within my budget range.

Cheers.

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have got some Endura Mullets & they don't go clear enough for night riding. Very light but not clear

Big lenses + full frame = big sunglasses
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Why do you want photochromic if it's low light/night riding? Just get some clear lenses.

I run the same photochromic lens as you but in a Radar frame and it's more than deteriorating light conditions until I'd need a clear lens. So, unsurprisingly, I run a clear lens for very low light/night riding (in another Radar frame).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Have got some Endura Mullets & they don't go clear enough for night riding. Very light but not clear

Big lenses + full frame = big sunglasses

Yes I had read that the Mullets dont go clear enough, they use the Reaction lens but the Shumba / Gabbro use the Reaction Plus lens which is meant to have a greater range.
    Why do you want photochromic if it's low light/night riding? Just get some clear lenses.

I run the same photochromic lens as you but in a Radar frame and it's more than deteriorating light conditions until I'd need a clear lens. So, unsurprisingly, I run a clear lens for very low light/night riding (in another Radar frame).

Because there will still be times during the low light rides when the sun breaks through, plus I dont want to be changing lenses all the time.
  • Really, no-one?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Photochromatic are all polarised and can't ever really go fully clear, yellow lenses sound like they are a better bet, with decent lights they improve vision at night by adding contrast and they also provide some glare protection in daylight.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Photochromatic are all polarised and can't ever really go fully clear, yellow lenses sound like they are a better bet, with decent lights they improve vision at night by adding contrast and they also provide some glare protection in daylight.

Thanks, thats a good point I remember having some yellow lens glasses years ago and always found them great.

Perhaps a yellow photochromic lens would be the best of both worlds, these look rather good:

http://ryderseyewear.com/HIJACK_R607-004
    http://ryderseyewear.com/node/6935
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I wouldn't as photochromatic will always cut out about 15-20% of light even in it's lightest setting - Yellow or PC not both I'd suggest.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I Was looking at these glasses, not to pricey and maybe decent.

http://www.actioneyewear.co.uk/p/196/wrapz-trailbreaker-photochromic-sunglasses
  • I highly recommend Smith Optics for any type of riding conditions. I personally own a pair with their award winning "chromapop" lenses and they're absolutely amazing. I also had a Pivlock model that had 3 sets of interchangeable lenses that made them awesome regardless the hours. All Smith Optics come with no questions asked lifetime warranty. If you haven't already, I would at least check them out.
  • I Was looking at these glasses, not to pricey and maybe decent.

http://www.actioneyewear.co.uk/p/196/wrapz-trailbreaker-photochromic-sunglasses

Lenses look pretty good, but they're not Full-Frame unfortunately.
  • I highly recommend Smith Optics for any type of riding conditions. I personally own a pair with their award winning "chromapop" lenses and they're absolutely amazing. I also had a Pivlock model that had 3 sets of interchangeable lenses that made them awesome regardless the hours. All Smith Optics come with no questions asked lifetime warranty. If you haven't already, I would at least check them out.

I did look into these but very expensive. I'm seriously considering the Endura Gabbro because at their clearest they allow 85% on light in and are relatively inexpensive.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I wouldn't as photochromatic will always cut out about 15-20% of light even in it's lightest setting

^ This.

Had a big wipeout on Melted Welly at BPW on Monday because my glasses didn't clear enough when I was going through the trees. It was quite sunny in the open and quite gloomy in the trees and without the lenses clearing enough I couldn't quite see where the best of the trail was. Hit a left hander too quick and ended up on the soft stuff at the side and out went the front wheel. I'm gravel rashed all up one side now. Glasses spent most of the rest of the day in my pocket after that. Great glasses (Sportstyle 202 Variomatic) but photo chromatics are always going to have their limitations under certain circumstances.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I used to use Oakley Clear Black Iridium photochromic (not "at") at night, perhaps not quite as clear as 'proper' clear lenses, but in no way a hindrance.

Well out of your budget though, and mine didn't last all that long - the coating rubbed off.