SW London to Leighton Buzzard

dyrlac
dyrlac Posts: 751
edited October 2015 in Commuting chat
Owing to an unfortunate incident of braggadocio I need to get from SW London to Leighton Buzzard before the missus in her suburban combat vehicle for a (god help me) canal boat "hols" with the inlaws. I take it the Grand Union Canal tow path is not suitable for a 100km TT? Any halfway sensible routes for a Friday morning? Or do I need to take a cheeky train?

Comments

• is this at the same time? as unless its rush hr etc. I'm not sure how 60 something miles by largely Motorways can be beaten by bike.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Was looking for more of a moral victory, tbh, having said there was literally no place in britain that it was not at least feasible to get to by bike rather than the canyonero*. :roll:

* how badly does this date me?
  • I used to take Edgware road/A5 to Luton from SE London: it's a pretty straight route through Hype park and although busy it wasn't full of crazy or silly drivers, they were are usually OK. Depend on your legs and on how SW you are based you can be there within 3hrs: make sure to get up early enough, just say that you need to leave early to not be part of the busy traffic and tell her that she will be there before you anyway ;). This should give her a false confidence of relaxing and leaving late and increase your chances to claim victory.
    It used to take me around two ours to Luton, I expect another 30 mins or so would be enough to get Leighton.