Exocet 2 Front Derailleur

lbmxj560
lbmxj560 Posts: 51
edited October 2015 in Workshop
Afternoon all

Well I have built up my own exocet 2 TT bike and am absolutely loving it. The only issue is the bl**dy front derailleur. I remember reading somewhere that they are a pig to setup on this bike and boy is that true.

The problem I have is that I set it up correct, and it works, but over time (sometimes weeks, sometimes minutes) it moves down the hanger and eventually hits the chainrings. I must have undone it and reset it at least 5 times now, and I am bored.

Has anyone got any tips on how to stop the thing from slipping? Is there another hanger that I can use as I get the feeling that the one supplied is pants.

Thoughts on a postcard please

Thanks all

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Afternoon all

Well I have built up my own exocet 2 TT bike and am absolutely loving it. The only issue is the bl**dy front derailleur. I remember reading somewhere that they are a pig to setup on this bike and boy is that true.

The problem I have is that I set it up correct, and it works, but over time (sometimes weeks, sometimes minutes) it moves down the hanger and eventually hits the chainrings. I must have undone it and reset it at least 5 times now, and I am bored.

Has anyone got any tips on how to stop the thing from slipping? Is there another hanger that I can use as I get the feeling that the one supplied is pants.

Thoughts on a postcard please

Thanks all

Hi mate. Yep. It's my only complaint with the frame.
    I used some Tacx Carbon paste and haven't had an issue all this year.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I had exactly the same issue with my PX Stealth, thought I had it sussed then it came loose on a TT - my solution was to use loctite thread locker (blue) on the two bolts that hold the mech hanger and the front mech bolt. Ridden at least 15 TTs since and not had a problem ;)

I got this one from halfords http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/adhesives/loctite-threadlocker
  • Thanks both - I thought that may b the answer. I was tempted to try putting some sandpaper between the hanger and the derailleur to see if it would create the friction needed to hold it in place. Some form of paste/loctite makes more sense though. Will grab some tonight.

Thanks again
  • Mind you I don't think I will ever get the bu**er off again as I over did the loctite on the threads so maybe try the carbon paste option first.
  • I did notice on the Planet X website they are selling a v3 of the hanger for the Exocet 2. Do you know if this is an updated version that recognises the fact that the version supplied is garbage?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Looks the same as my cack one.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach