Thoughts on Cervelo R3, S3 or Pinarello Rokh

jplesca
jplesca Posts: 18
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello,
I am new to the forum and new to road cycling, I currently mountain bike with a Trek Fuel Ex. I am thinking of going with a Cervelo R3 but I'm also thinking of the S3 as I do like the aero frame and it's a bit faster apparently. Any input on what you guys think? I am also wondering about the Pinarello Rokh if anyone has ridden one and would pinarello be a better buy then a cervelo. I also tried out the trek emola s and the specialized venge which are both great bikes but I feel both cervelo and pinarello are the better bikes overal but any input from all of you will be much appreciated! All the bikes I checked out have the shimano 105 group set except the cervelo S3 has a sram red set groupset. Any input would be much appreciated as I am a bit naive still when it comes to road bikes.
Thanks everyone!

Comments

• buy the one that's prettiest.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    3 different bikes. if it were me I'd not bother.
  • ianSWBB
    ianSWBB Posts: 25
    It'd have to be the Pinarello for me - dress it with Campag! the perfect Italian steed :D
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    At that kind of price range all bikes are very good and no one can give you a definitive answer.

Just buy the one you like the look of.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As above - it's difficult to buy a bad bike when you're spending that much. Buy the one you like the look of...
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Ride them all, buy the one that you like best. You wouldn't be looking at any of them if they hadn't already ticked at least a couple of boxes such as looks and price, so it has to come down to how they feel when you ride them

Where are you buying an R3 with 105??
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Ride them all, buy the one that you like best. You wouldn't be looking at any of them if they hadn't already ticked at least a couple of boxes such as looks and price, so it has to come down to how they feel when you ride them

Where are you buying an R3 with 105??

Isn't a R3 with 105 a R2?
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • jplesca
    Hello everyone!

Thanks so much for your help and input! It turns out the R3 has ultrega and they have a 2014 reduced to $1900 CAD in my size at my local bike shop which is basically at cost. It's not a bad price as that's more then 55 percent off! I liked the pinarello, definitely the design is beautiful but it is considerably more and after reading the reviews, it sounds like cervelo is the all round best at this price point. I do like Trek, but their bikes seem a bit mass market as they are everywhere and I can only find a fairly used trek for less then the Cervelo.

Thank You!
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Quite Obviously and without any hesitation the Pinarello - You will never regret it - and as I always say:-

"Don't die not having owned a Pinarello"
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Alternatively "wouldnt be seen dead on a Pinarello" can apply :P

The R3 with Ultegra at $1900 CAD is bit of a bargain, you wont get anything else comparable at that sort of price.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769

The R3 with Ultegra at $1900 CAD is bit of a bargain, you wont get anything else comparable at that sort of price.

Quite the bargain indeed.

R2 with 105 isn't an R3. It's the same frame, but different wide forks. Cervelo claim the rest of the frame is the same
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552

Quite the bargain indeed.

R2 with 105 isn't an R3. It's the same frame, but different wide forks. Cervelo claim the rest of the frame is the same

Yep, you'd take the R3 :)

The rest of the R2 frame is the same as the R3, I've got one. The forks are wider, nice clearance on my 25mm Conti's :)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • jplesca
    Thanks everyone! I do like the Pinarello but I decided to go with the Cervelo. I absolutely love it, I just need to upgrade the wheel set I think!