Crankset

Kerrjohn1983
Kerrjohn1983 Posts: 27
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
I am currently building a road bike, I fancy putting some Q rings on it but just wondering if anyone can recommend a good crankset would prefer if it was under £200

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    A few questions first to help narrow down what you can use

What BB type had the bike got? Depending on the system it can limit the options available

What groupset manufacturer? If its Campag then you would not be using Shimano and Vice Versa.

How many gears? 10 speed chainsets can be found a damn sight cheaper than brand new 11

Do you want a compact or a full standard double?

Answer these and we can help recommend a good chainset that wil suite your needs

One final question. Have you actually tried Q rings before? Some people swear by them where others see 0 difference in performance. Some argue if they made that much difference then the entire pro peloton would run them. If you haven't used them before try getting a trial of them before throwing money at something that may or may not help
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    A few questions first to help narrow down what you can use

What BB type had the bike got? Depending on the system it can limit the options available

What groupset manufacturer? If its Campag then you would not be using Shimano and Vice Versa.

How many gears? 10 speed chainsets can be found a damn sight cheaper than brand new 11

Do you want a compact or a full standard double?

Answer these and we can help recommend a good chainset that wil suite your needs

One final question. Have you actually tried Q rings before? Some people swear by them where others see 0 difference in performance. Some argue if they made that much difference then the entire pro peloton would run them. If you haven't used them before try getting a trial of them before throwing money at something that may or may not help

Rotor Q rings are comparable in price to Praxis etc so there's no wasting your money if they don't work for you. I agree though, that some see or find no benefit from them. Personally, I do but they aren't the be all and end all.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.