Sora road shifter cable threading alignment

andrewandersonx
andrewandersonx Posts: 3
edited October 2015 in Workshop
Hi,
Can anyone direct me with the cable thread of Sora road shifters. I have re-cabled these on my bike before, but this time I cannot get the new cable back in.

The background: The old cable snapped inside the shifter. I got the loose end out by pulling on it with pliers to get tension and clicking through to the highest gear. This lined up the holes on the shifter so I could take out the loose piece of cable. Just as I was about to thread in the new cable, I knocked the shifter lever into the next gear, this has misaligned the holes. As I have no tension in the shifter without a cable, I cannot now shift it back to its highest position to align the holes.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the shifter broken?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Andrew

Comments

• fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Had some fun and games with a sora shifter myself just today. To thread the cable you do indeed need to downshift to where the smallest cog would be, with the shrouding for the cable ferrule at the top. If you can't shift the mechanism to that point, it sounds like there is indeed something wrong in your shifter.

I'd have a good look for any bits of detached cable and of course remove them. If that's not it, it looks like you'd need to dismantle the shifter. Good luck with that!
  • @Fleshtuxedo: thanks for your reply. Its definitely a broken shifter. Lbs confirmed it. The tension on the cable was the only thing pulling it back up the gears. So once the cable was gone it was impossible to shift it to the correct position.

I found a reasonably priced RH shifter on an online shop, so that will solve the problem.

Thanks again
    Andrew