Steering Oddness

spudstickle
spudstickle Posts: 11
edited November 2015 in Workshop
'Odd' is definitely the word for it, I bought a winter bike second hand and rode it all winter last year.. pulled it out again today and its steering is a little off (I vaguely remember it being like this last year but not as much)
when I say odd I mean, it sort of stiffens up when I lean, almost like when I lean right it really wants to go left or vice versa. and in straight lines it almost pulls in the opposite direction of my weight.
tyres are fairly new, running about 60PSI (24x1.8) everything feels solid and tight but could it be carbon forks on the way out? not sure how that works.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    is it a self build or as factory build?

checked the headset is ok and complete and fitted correctly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • its factory built, what's the best way to test the headset? it doesn't rattle and it seems to turn freely without grinding
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Stand in front of the bike and clamp the front wheel between your knees, now wiggle the bars from side to side. Do you get any knock or clonk? Could be headset, could be QR not tight enough, could even be the wheel bearings or spokes loose. On another tack is the back wheel in straight and centred? Also might be worth running a straight edge from back wheel to front to see if the frame is pissed.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • Ah, so I have a broken spoke on the back. also on my walk to LBS the steering all over the shot,
    here hoping its just those things.
    Also I think someone sprayed WD40 on the disk at work *for a larf* cos that shit aint slowing.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Glad you found a possible cause. However I'd be less happy working with someone who thinks its funny to put WD40 on someones brakes. Not only will the brakes not function the pads will be contaminated and never regain their full braking ability. The only thing for it will be to clean the discs properly and fit new pads (which is not particularly cheap). If someone did that to me they would be in for a stay in hospital having teeth removed from the back of their throats.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • Godammit I broke another spoke!