Squirt or Muc-off Dry Lube

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Restricting yourselves to only those two, which do you reckon for use only on dry days on a best bike?

Everyone seems to love Squirt but part of that seems to be not having to clean your chain (you just apply more and knock off build up with a dry brush if it occurs). I'm not bothered about that and am happy to clean everything every ride. My main concern is that everything is as gentle on my extortionate Di2 rear mech as possible!

So wax or "traditional" dry lube?

PS the reason for just the two is I've got Wiggle vouchers to spend and I want to try something other than Finish Line.

Many thanks

Comments

• Can't comment on the Muc-off dry lube but I use Squirt and love it.
    I have used Muc-off wet lube and it was horrible (apart from the smell)

I commute daily on my bike and it holds up very well, really happy with it.
    I just reapply after really wet days which takes about a minute.
    Should be good for chain longevity as there's no grit or grime being collected, although theres only about 700 miles on this chain so can't confirm that.

You need to make sure you thoroughly clean and degrease the chain, and let it dry completely before applying for the first time. After that it is just wipe down with a cloth and reapply whenever necessary.
  • Another one for Squirt .
    regards
    ILG
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Understand the question just don't understand the reason. Why is the lube going to help your Di2 rear mech? For reference, one of my rear Di2 mechs is over 4 years old and has suffered plenty of abuse and is going strong.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Understand the question just don't understand the reason. Why is the lube going to help your Di2 rear mech? For reference, one of my rear Di2 mechs is over 4 years old and has suffered plenty of abuse and is going strong.

I suppose my rambling point was that I'm not making the choice on 1) ease of maintenance, as I'm happy to clean everything after every ride or 2) chain life as these are disposable and cheap or 3) resistance to water as this is only for summer use.

So the only drivers are reducing friction and looking after the rest of the drivetrain. Perversely it's comments about Squirt being good for commuting/wet weather that makes me thing it's not quite what I'm after. Is dry lube even better for summer use?

Good to hear about your mech as I can't believe how pricey they are to replace.
  • Squirt here as well.
  • meanredspider
    looking after the rest of the drivetrain.

The jockey wheels on the RD are changeable - I've swapped them on both of my Di2 RDs to sealed bearing types. The lube on the chain makes almost no difference on this.

I've used wax but find it isn't much good in the wet (not an issue for you) - found myself hunting for lube with Marianne Vos (no less) on a very wet Rapha Prestige Limburg as both of our chains sounded like crap. It wasn't Squirt. In general, I find oil best for all conditions (again, not your issue) but would probably go for wax given your requirements.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    No experience of Squirt but I do have a bottle of Muc-off dry lube and I cannot recommend it. I bought it for dry riding on my best bike. It seems to lubricate OK and the drivetrain is quiet. But it's too thick and gloopy. The nozzle keeps getting blocked up despite me blowing through it, poking a needle into the nozzle and cutting bits off the end. I have had to resort to screwing off the nozzle and simply pouring it over the chain - very wasteful.

With repeated use, despite cleaning and re-applying after every ride, it eventually builds up a sticky film of gunge which is a nightmare to remove. Took me ages to clean the chain, jockey wheels and cassette with WD40 and a toothbrush. I've still got half a bottle and only use it as a last resort. Finish Line dry and Rock and Roll Gold are both much better in my experience.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    For summer use Squirt is really quite good, certainly the cleanest drivetrain I've had when using it. Haven't wanted to use anything else since switching to it. It's not the best when things get proper wet, but for mainly dry riding and wanting things to stay pretty clean then it's very good.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367

...found myself hunting for lube with Marianne Vos (no less) on a very wet Rapha Prestige Limburg.

:shock: ....this made me spit out my coffee when I read it :lol: Immature I know :wink:
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • meanredspider

...found myself hunting for lube with Marianne Vos (no less) on a very wet Rapha Prestige Limburg.

:shock: ....this made me spit out my coffee when I read it :lol: Immature I know :wink:

If only I'd managed to get "Squirt" in there too :wink::lol:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,325
    Just realised I haven't lubed my chain in about 3 weeks of almost daily use and the chain is still silent. That's using Squirt, seems like good stuff to me.
  • Just realised I haven't lubed my chain in about 3 weeks of almost daily use and the chain is still silent. That's using Squirt, seems like good stuff to me.

Yep. Got totally drenched on the commute yesterday morning and everything's nice and silent still. All looks clean and shiny too.
  • meanredspider
    Too funny - just discovered I've been using Squirt for two years (as recommended by my LBS in NL) - shows that the branding isn't great.

So, I go back to what I said: it's good but isn't great for long (Rapha Prestige was 190k) wet rides. Ironically, I find it builds up quite a bit too. But the rest of the time has been very good.