Gt avalanche expert 2016

ribbityeah
ribbityeah Posts: 23
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
Do you know if the gt avalanche expert 2016 would be a worthy upgrade from my gt avalanche 3 2012?
I love the GTs and have fitted a rockshox xc32 solo air 100mm to mine.
The expert comes with a rockshox recon silver coil fork
I use it for light off rd and commuting mainly
I have seen no reviews of the most recent avalanche range
I also like the avalanche elite with suntour xcr fork but the spec isn't quite as hugh
Any help appreciated, or comments from anyone who has used these bikes

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Links help. I doubt many people have ridden all of them, or memorised spec.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Good point I shall add asap
  • Hi further to my post:

Top Features of the GT Avalanche 3.0 2012

Sizes: XS, S, M, L, XL
    Frame: 6061-T6 aluminium frame, double butted, post disc mount, replaceable derailleur hanger
    Fork: SR Suntour XCM-V3-MLO 100mm travel
    Chainset: SR Suntour XCT, triple 42/32/22
    Bottom Bracket: Tange sealed
    Pedals: GT Slim line, flats
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Acera
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
    Shifters: Shimano Rapid Fire
    Cassette: Shimano 8 speed (11-32)
    Chain: KMC Z72
    Rims: Alex DM25, double wall
    Tyres: Maxxis Sphinx 26 x 2.10 (F)/1.95 (R)
    Front Hub: All Terra alloy disc, QR
    Rear Hub: All Terra alloy disc, QR
    Spokes: 14G Stainless
    Brakes: Tektro Novela cable with 160mm Rotor
    Brake Levers: Tektro
    Handlebar: All Terra 6061 aluminium, 685mm wide, 25mm rise
    Stem: All Terra 1 1/8" threadless
    Grips: Dual Density, GT Wing
    Headset: Tange Seiki
    Saddle: All Terra
    Seat Post: All Terra alloy micro-adjust

Gt avalanche expert 2016
    Frame: Hydroformed & Butted Speed Metal™ Aluminum (TT/DT) Frame, w/ Triple Triangle™, Replaceable Derailleur Hanger, Disc Brake Mounts, and Zerostack 1 1/8" Head Tube, 27.5 Design

Fork: Rock Shox Recon Silver TK Coil 27.5" w/100mm Travel, w/Turn Key Lockout, QR Droupout, Coil Spring, Disc Only Lower, W/1.125" Alloy Steerer, W/ Remote Poplock Lockout

Headset: Kore 1B-1 1 1/8" Threadless, Zerostack

Bars: All Terra Riser, Butted, 710mm Width, 15mm Rise, 31.8mm Clamp

Stem: All Terra 1 1/8" Threadless, 3D Forged, 4-Bolt W/ CNC Face Plate, 6° Rise, 31.8mm Clamp

Shifters: Shimano Deore SL-M610

Front Mech: Shimano Deore, FD-M610

Rear Mech: Shimano Deore XT Shadow Plus, RD-M786

Chainset: Shimano Deore, FC-M610, 42/32/24T

Bottom Bracket: Shimano included in FC

Cassette: Sunrace CS-MS1, 11-36T, 10-Speed

Chain: KMC X10

Front Brake: Shimano BR-M396, Hydraulic Disc, W/ 160mm Rotor SM-RT30

Rear Brake: Shimano BR-M396, Hydraulic Disc, W/ 160mm Rotor SM-RT30

Rims: All Terra Double Wall, 32H 27.5, disc specific

Front Hub: All Terra Alloy Disc, W/ Quick Release, Center Lock

Rear Hub: All Terra Alloy Cassette Disc, W/ Quick Release, Center Lock

Tyres: Schwalbe Rapid Rob 27.5X2.25" with K-Guard Front Schwalbe Rapid Rob 27.5X2.25" with K-Guard Rear

Seatpost: All Terra Alloy Micro-Adjust, 30.9mm

Pls reply which is best!
  • Hi further to my post:

Top Features of the GT Avalanche 3.0 2012

Sizes: XS, S, M, L, XL
    Frame: 6061-T6 aluminium frame, double butted, post disc mount, replaceable derailleur hanger
    Fork: SR Suntour XCM-V3-MLO 100mm travel
    Chainset: SR Suntour XCT, triple 42/32/22
    Bottom Bracket: Tange sealed
    Pedals: GT Slim line, flats
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Acera
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
    Shifters: Shimano Rapid Fire
    Cassette: Shimano 8 speed (11-32)
    Chain: KMC Z72
    Rims: Alex DM25, double wall
    Tyres: Maxxis Sphinx 26 x 2.10 (F)/1.95 (R)
    Front Hub: All Terra alloy disc, QR
    Rear Hub: All Terra alloy disc, QR
    Spokes: 14G Stainless
    Brakes: Tektro Novela cable with 160mm Rotor
    Brake Levers: Tektro
    Handlebar: All Terra 6061 aluminium, 685mm wide, 25mm rise
    Stem: All Terra 1 1/8" threadless
    Grips: Dual Density, GT Wing
    Headset: Tange Seiki
    Saddle: All Terra
    Seat Post: All Terra alloy micro-adjust

Gt avalanche expert 2016
    Frame: Hydroformed & Butted Speed Metal™ Aluminum (TT/DT) Frame, w/ Triple Triangle™, Replaceable Derailleur Hanger, Disc Brake Mounts, and Zerostack 1 1/8" Head Tube, 27.5 Design

Fork: Rock Shox Recon Silver TK Coil 27.5" w/100mm Travel, w/Turn Key Lockout, QR Droupout, Coil Spring, Disc Only Lower, W/1.125" Alloy Steerer, W/ Remote Poplock Lockout

Headset: Kore 1B-1 1 1/8" Threadless, Zerostack

Bars: All Terra Riser, Butted, 710mm Width, 15mm Rise, 31.8mm Clamp

Stem: All Terra 1 1/8" Threadless, 3D Forged, 4-Bolt W/ CNC Face Plate, 6° Rise, 31.8mm Clamp

Shifters: Shimano Deore SL-M610

Front Mech: Shimano Deore, FD-M610

Rear Mech: Shimano Deore XT Shadow Plus, RD-M786

Chainset: Shimano Deore, FC-M610, 42/32/24T

Bottom Bracket: Shimano included in FC

Cassette: Sunrace CS-MS1, 11-36T, 10-Speed

Chain: KMC X10

Front Brake: Shimano BR-M396, Hydraulic Disc, W/ 160mm Rotor SM-RT30

Rear Brake: Shimano BR-M396, Hydraulic Disc, W/ 160mm Rotor SM-RT30

Rims: All Terra Double Wall, 32H 27.5, disc specific

Front Hub: All Terra Alloy Disc, W/ Quick Release, Center Lock

Rear Hub: All Terra Alloy Cassette Disc, W/ Quick Release, Center Lock

Tyres: Schwalbe Rapid Rob 27.5X2.25" with K-Guard Front Schwalbe Rapid Rob 27.5X2.25" with K-Guard Rear

Seatpost: All Terra Alloy Micro-Adjust, 30.9mm

Pls reply which is best!
  • Since you have swapped out your fork anyway, I think the Avalanche Expert is an expensive way of upgrading your gearing from 8 speed Alivio to 10 speed Deore/Deore XT and switching to Hydraulic brakes.

You could fit these things to your current Avalanche for a lot less than £750. You could also upgrade the wheels on yours and still come in cheaper than buying the Expert. The stock hubs on these are pretty poor and don't wear very well if you ride the bike on a regular basis in all conditions.

I have the 2015 Avalanche Expert which is the same spec as the 2016 model, just a different colour scheme, different cable routing, tyres and saddle. The 2015 model is over £100 cheaper than the new one and it's the same bike.

The Expert has a coil fork and you have fitted the air fork to yours. The air forks are easier to tune to your weight as you don't need to swap out the spring. Of course you could fit your current air fork to the Expert if the spring rate is a problem.

I think the 2015 model is much better value than the 2016 and it looks better in my opinion, but for much less you could just upgrade the components on your Avalanche.

To be honest going off what you've said, I don't think you need the upgraded kit for your riding style anyway.

I love the GT's too, my old 1996 rigid Talera is now demoted to Turbo Trainer duties. I'm really happy with my Avalanche Expert, love it in fact! I've had mine since May and covered over 2000 miles on it. I've ditched the stock wheels and went tubeless, the original rear hub wore out despite correct maintenance and the rear wheel went out of true twice. I've upgraded from the entry level rotors and next I could do with changing to a softer spring so I can use all of the 100mm of travel.

Oh! the QR seat post clamp was useless too, the seat post kept slipping all of the time. A new clamp sorted that.

It's a really nice smooth, nimble and speedy bike to ride especially with a better wheel set on it, but I'm sure your Avalanche will be too. I'd suggest upgrading the bits on yours and you'll have exactly what the Expert is anyway, just for a lot less than £640/£750 of the '15 & '16 models.
  • Thanks
    That is exactly the sort of answer I was looking for
    I have added a few components too such as welgo pedals and continental traffic tyres
    I must admit you are right about the wheels I have had to have mine trued twice
    I guess I was worried the frame may need replacing but I guess the gt frames last ages especially as I haven't abused it!
    I was lucky as my bike came with hydraulic disc brakes too
    Your bike sounds great too
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What made you think your frame may need replacing?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Thanks
    That is exactly the sort of answer I was looking for
    I have added a few components too such as welgo pedals and continental traffic tyres
    I must admit you are right about the wheels I have had to have mine trued twice
    I guess I was worried the frame may need replacing but I guess the gt frames last ages especially as I haven't abused it!
    I was lucky as my bike came with hydraulic disc brakes too
    Your bike sounds great too

Your frame will be fine unless it's been in a crash of some kind and it's been bent. There is no reason why your GT frame won't last a lifetime.

My old GT is 19 years old and it's frame is as good as the day I bought it. I upgraded to my Avalanche because I wanted modern geometry with front shocks and hydraulic disc brakes. For my budget in my local shops the Avalanche Expert was easily the best specified hardtail I could find. Also I really like how it looks and after my old GT I was more than happy to buy another. The wheels are the only real negative with the stock bike.

Your Avalanche will be every bit as good as the new ones if you upgrade the parts you feel you need to.
  • I am not sure why I thought the frame may need replacing. I crashed into a fence a few months ago but the bike seemed fine
    Any ifead on good light strong wheels for my Avalanche pls at a reasonable price?
  • Meant any ideas!
  • I am not sure why I thought the frame may need replacing. I crashed into a fence a few months ago but the bike seemed fine
    Any ifead on good light strong wheels for my Avalanche pls at a reasonable price?

You could check out the Mavic Crossride wheels. They have sealed cartridge bearings with much freer spinning hubs than the standard All Terra ones. They are also a bit lighter than the stock wheels. My average speed has actually consistently increased by 0.5 - 0.6 MPH over my last 4 rides since fitting them to mine...

21957069989_f6537da12e_b.jpgd

21957005339_28e95438e9_b.jpg
  • Brilliant will do
    Your bike looks amazing!
  • you looked at this i cant believe the spec for the price.

http://www.diamondback.co.uk/MTB/Product/?pc=1&pt=10&pg=14287
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your right, it's rubbish for the price....unbelievable.

My old HT frame was a 2006 as is my new FS frame, both work as good as new, as mentioned the better forks you now have on yours means changing would be silly.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.