Angela Epstein

mick_cornick
mick_cornick Posts: 175
edited October 2015 in Commuting chat
Genius! Caught this on the radio, then she's followed it up with a rational and well researched piece in the Torygraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/11940680/Why-do-cyclists-think-they-can-do-anything-they-like.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p035k7g6

Comments

• edrobbin
    edrobbin Posts: 173
    A fair point well made. Good to see her say, albiet briefly "not all..."

As in every form of life, the minority bunch of idiots give the wider community an irrevertable bad name.
    Waterloo - White City

Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 2016
    Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 3 26" (Lefty) :D
  • I quite like John Stevenson's Twitter picture! I'd have thought somebody would have complained about that by now!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Didn't listen to the debate as at work, but the article is really poor isn't it? Just another one of those cut and paste jobs you normally get in the Daily Mail, I would have thought there would be slightly higher standards at the Torygraph which I have some begruding respect for despite its political bias. The Corbyn comment in particular was just ridiculous.
  • jspash
    jspash Posts: 107
    This isn't very scientific, but I've found a quick way of sorting through these types of articles/rants.

Ctrl-F "lycra"

Found {1 or more} results for lycra

Therefore the argument is invalid. No need to read.
  • jefflad
    jefflad Posts: 315
    Find it quite offensive, especially as I'm lying here reading and listening to it with a broken leg due to a car driver believing they had more "entitlement" to do what they like on a road to my law abiding use... She really needs to try cycling on roads first and then comment.

Chapeau to Ned Boulting though!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Ah - but she's not anti-cyclist really ...
    What's more, I live with a committed off-road cyclist – he's got the full rig and owns an astonishing five bikes, despite only being in possession of the one bottom. And I actually like cycling too – though on designated cycle paths away from city centres, where cars are not allowed.
    Wow - 5 bikes .... and cycling is ok if you do it where cars are not allowed ...

how to miss the point in 1 easy lesson !!

I _could_ cycle to work using cycle and bridle paths - but it'd take me a heck of a lot longer (prob nearer 1 1/2 hrs rather than 1/2 hr) and I'd get to work filthy unless the tracks are sunbaked dry ...

Oh - and I must wear a helmet - otherwise I can't critsise other road users ...

load of bolx - I can't be arsed ...
  • I wasted minutes of my life reading that rubbish.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    Let's see if I have this correct?
    She went on a radio show to discuss cycling and achieved nothing.
    She then wrote an article about that.

Her employers are mugs. She is just a shewhomustnotbenamed wannabe.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    The Torygraph is losing cash hand over fist and is desperate for a bit of click-bait driven advertising revenues to bail the Wierdo Barclay Brothers out and you are all falling into the trap!!!!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    The Torygraph is losing cash hand over fist and is desperate for a bit of click-bait driven advertising revenues to bail the Wierdo Barclay Brothers out and you are all falling into the trap!!!!
    This is the truth.
    However, you don't know until you've clicked.
    I recommend that no one else clicks.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    I particularly like the comment someone had left:
    John Anderson • 5 hours ago
    It's certainly an interesting article from someone who literally wrote the book on advising drivers who flout the law the best way to avoid legal proceedings.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Art-Loophole-Making-work/dp/1444734083?camp=1634&creative=6738&tag=buro9

(She's the ghost writer, on the first page of the "Look Inside").
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    404 Error. Looks like even the Telegraph couldn't stomach it.

What happens when a tired hack journo gets told to put some copy together in ten minutes no more.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368

they do seem to publish at least one cyclist click bait article per month, its usually been Andrew Critchlows job of late, but they seem really torn editorially about the subject as they are just as likely the next week to publish a very pro cycling piece say following Jonathan Edwards advising people how to train for Ride London,they entered a Telegraph sponsored team in it, or have a piece like Pippa Middleton learning to ride with clipless pedals or the Brownlee twins training in Yorkshire on the roads, dont they also sponsor a trade team in the Revolution series for all the lone riders ?

it seems quite crazy really
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    They've moved it to "Lifestlye" (was in cycling).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/11940680/Why-do-cyclists-think-they-can-do-anything-they-like.html

It's remarkably similar to the one she did earlier in the July - I hope they haven't paid her twice for the same claptrap...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/goodlife/11707713/Cyclists-think-they-own-the-roads.-They-dont.html
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava