Beginner Shock Upgrade Advice

james22b2
james22b2 Posts: 132
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi
I´d like to install a remote on my bike for the rear shock but my current shock is not compatible.
I have a Giant with RockShox Monarch RT:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/trance.advanced.27.5.2/19233/77345/#specifications
Can I swap this shock out for a RockShox Monarch XX?
If so, how do I know what size I need? It seems to come in several sizes, and I can't work out which one i would need.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You need the same eye to eye length and stroke. you can measure your existing shock.

But if you are just changing for the remote I wouldn't bother.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hi
    I´d like to install a remote on my bike for the rear shock
    Can I ask why?

A decent shock on a decent bike doesn't really need a lockout at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I believe you'd need a 200x51. Isn't the XX aimed at XC racing though rather than trail bikes?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Trance is one of the most efficient pedaling full suspension bikes available. In the two years I had my Trance I never used the lock or pedal settings. When I tried them I couldn't tell the difference.
    If you really feel you need it then you will need to get the correct eye to eye length and the correct damping tune. You will also want the larger volume Debonair air can which the XX doesn't have.
    I don't think 200mm x 51mm is right, seems a bit long to me. I'm sure it's 190x51.