Brooks Saddle on a Carbon Road Bike ?

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Would it look stupid ?

IMG_2446_zpsmomnwbqz.jpg

Well it probably does - but I can't get comfy on anything else - so it doesn't matter !!!

Comments

• That front QR definitely does. ;)
  • kingrollo
    That front QR definitely does. ;)

Bugger !!!!!

[at least is distracts from the saddle !]
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    If it stops your arse looking like it belongs on a baboon go for it. I rode one on a carbon frame for a couple of years and I don't think anyone even mentioned it (well not to my face anyhow).
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have a Brooks B17 Special on my alu wet weather bike, and a Spa Cycles' Aire, a Chinese copy of a Brooks swift, on my carbon CR1-SL.

I did have the B17 on the CR1 for a while, but concede that the racier looking Aire does suit it better.

Comfort is still a lot nearer the top of my priorities list than appearance though. I find both leather saddles all-day comfortable, unlike the lighter synthetic ones they replaced.

And they have bag loops so I can attach my Carradice saddle bag for when I'm going to be out all day in changeable weather and want to take food and clothing. Hmm, Audax is starting to sound interesting...
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277

Bugger !!!!!

Sorry to say it but I'm not sure that the position of the rear skewer looks much better!

Seriously though, I moved the B17 from my hybrid first to my Allez and then on to my Synapse and neither combo lasted very long. I know it's not supposed to matter but I was offended every time I looked at it on the racier frames as it just didn't suit. I was thinking about giving a Cambium a go but after reading Keef's comment had a look at the Spa Cycles web site and am now thinking that maybe the Aire might be worth a punt. Anybody got a view on how much breaking in they need?
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • kingrollo

Bugger !!!!!

Sorry to say it but I'm not sure that the position of the rear skewer looks much better!

Seriously though, I moved the B17 from my hybrid first to my Allez and then on to my Synapse and neither combo lasted very long. I know it's not supposed to matter but I was offended every time I looked at it on the racier frames as it just didn't suit. I was thinking about giving a Cambium a go but after reading Keef's comment had a look at the Spa Cycles web site and am now thinking that maybe the Aire might be worth a punt. Anybody got a view on how much breaking in they need?

Yes - for me Id been unable to ride a bike for over 3 years, due to a hip hamstring problem, I even took to riding a recumbent ! - so saddle looking a little odd really isn't a concern - so long as I am out there....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

Bugger !!!!!

Looks fine to me :wink:

Nowt wrong with a leather saddle on a carbon road bike. Shame that you can't get a Brooks with carbon rails. That would be cool!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    [quote=" I was thinking about giving a Cambium a go but after reading Keef's comment had a look at the Spa Cycles web site and am now thinking that maybe the Aire might be worth a punt. Anybody got a view on how much breaking in they need?[/quote]

The B17 was perfect out of the box and has continued to soften ever so slightly with use. It's not so good for prolonged riding in the drops though; fortunately I rarely ride like that.

The Aire is made of much thicker leather and initially had very little give in it; bit like sitting on a chunk of plywood. It is a good shape though, and was never uncomfortable. After a couple of hundred miles it too had softened slightly; there's a hint of a dimple where each sitbone rests, and there's a bit of flex to provide suspension. It looks like it will last forever.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    My opinion would be similar to that on wearing a helmet - your head, your choice - only a metre or thereabouts closer to the ground.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • kingrollo
    [quote=" I was thinking about giving a Cambium a go but after reading Keef's comment had a look at the Spa Cycles web site and am now thinking that maybe the Aire might be worth a punt. Anybody got a view on how much breaking in they need?

The B17 was perfect out of the box and has continued to soften ever so slightly with use. It's not so good for prolonged riding in the drops though; fortunately I rarely ride like that.

The Aire is made of much thicker leather and initially had very little give in it; bit like sitting on a chunk of plywood. It is a good shape though, and was never uncomfortable. After a couple of hundred miles it too had softened slightly; there's a hint of a dimple where each sitbone rests, and there's a bit of flex to provide suspension. It looks like it will last forever.[/quote]

Damm - that aire looks a fine saddle - would look so much better on my Kuota .....I want one....looks a steel at £45....