Di2 battery life?

bernithebiker
bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
I mean overall life; anyone had to replace their's yet?

I'm on internal BTR02 I think it's called, DA9070. Lately, the time between charges has been dropping, and the other day, after 2 weeks away, there was no charge at all, nothing, completely dead, not even the red light.

Seems to be holding charge fairly well now though, but I reckon in less than 2 weeks it'll need a recharge.

I'm going to get a new battery anyway, as I feel a bit exposed without a spare, (even though they're 80 quid, ouch!).

But I would have hoped to have got more than the 1 year I've got out of this one......

Comments

• clogg
    clogg Posts: 70
    I've had di2 on a bike for the last 2 1/2 years and the battery seems to be holding up as good as new. I would probably charge it every 3-4 months (and even then it would not be fully discharged).

This is the original BTR-1 external battery though and not the internal one you have.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Don't own a Di2 system but aren't the batteries Lithium Ion (Li-Ion)? And therefore follow the rules of all lithium ion batteries. Namely never let them completely drain (or they may not charge or overheat and explode when you try to do so) and never charge them to 100% unless you immediately plan to drain them straight away. In the case of the latter, charging to over 70% and then leaving them in that charge state causes the inside of the battery to rot which causes the battery to lose some of it's capacity (about 30% per year).

Certainly, when used to power lights, it's the people who immediately charge the battery after every night ride who's batteries tend not to last long (the trick is to charge the battery immediately BEFORE the ride... not after).

Which as always made me curious about DI2 batteries. Why? Because the DI2 system drains batteries so slowly they must spend weeks, never mind hours, above the safe 70% charge state, rotting internally and losing capacity. I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's the people who keep topping up their batteries who suffer the shortest life spans.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
  • I mean overall life; anyone had to replace their's yet?

I'm on internal BTR02 I think it's called, DA9070. Lately, the time between charges has been dropping, and the other day, after 2 weeks away, there was no charge at all, nothing, completely dead, not even the red light.

Seems to be holding charge fairly well now though, but I reckon in less than 2 weeks it'll need a recharge.

I'm going to get a new battery anyway, as I feel a bit exposed without a spare, (even though they're 80 quid, ouch!).

But I would have hoped to have got more than the 1 year I've got out of this one......

Did you have a problem a while ago with a SM-EWW01 (apologies if that was someone else)? Did you take it out in the end and, if not, do you think it's had any affect on your battery?
  • I mean overall life; anyone had to replace their's yet?

Did you have a problem a while ago with a SM-EWW01 (apologies if that was someone else)? Did you take it out in the end and, if not, do you think it's had any affect on your battery?

True, yes I did - it made my system die on installation!

Since then it's been fine though. As far as I know, the whole system sleeps after a while and is woken up with a shift.

The Garmin can't detect the Di2 until you make that first shift....
  • Given Di2 goes around 800+ miles on a charge and a lithium battery should have a good few charging cycles in it (400-1200 is the range according to Wikipedia!) I would expect it to last quite a while. If its dead in a year it would suggest battery was faulty, you have a short or something or are riding 24/7 an shifting a lot.
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I just run it until it goes red on the status bar and then charge, haven't had a problem with it, except a wire coming loose, but that was my own fault. the system as you say does sleep for a while, thus explaining at least partially the battery life.
  • mine varies but i would say min 1500kms max 2500kms on one charge, I left mine for a couple of weeks last Winter and it too was dead when I took it out again, could just be coincidence that it was running low when I stopped using it though i guess.

mines covered 21,000km in c 2 years.