Campagnolo Zonda snapped spoke

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited October 2015 in Workshop
Just snapped a spoke out on my usual ride route.

Has anyone got any experience in having them replaced on this particular wheelset? I know they have the sealed rims without the need for rim tape complicates the nipple removal/fitting.

Chances are I may only need to replace the snapped one. Is this likely or am I looking at a new set?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Should be OK to replace the single spoke if the wheel wasn't ridden for a prolonged period which could over-stress the others, but tension of others needs to be checked/adjusted as needed.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    It is a bit of a pain to do the problem is if the spoke has failed through fatigue replacing it will get a bit more life from the wheels but the other will be on there way out. If it snapped due to another reason then the above won't be much of problem if you did not ride it home a long way.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Anonymous
    It is a bit of a pain to do the problem is if the spoke has failed through fatigue replacing it will get a bit more life from the wheels but the other will be on there way out. If it snapped due to another reason then the above won't be much of problem if you did not ride it home a long way.

Wheels are under 6 months old and have less than 1000km on them. I wouldn't think it was fatigue.

Only had 25km ride home at a reasonably slow speed so I think the rest should be ok.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

Wheels are under 6 months old and have less than 1000km on them. I wouldn't think it was fatigue.

Only had 25km ride home at a reasonably slow speed so I think the rest should be ok.

How heavy are you? Sounds like it should not have happened, fatigue is no reason as you say.
  • Anonymous

How heavy are you? Sounds like it should not have happened, fatigue is no reason as you
    say.

I weigh 68kg. I don't think thats an issue. I think its more just a dodgy spoke.

This is besides the point. Its happened and I just need to know how simple it is to repair. Im not interested in the hows and whys of the spoke snapping. Bit late for that.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561

Only 6 months old???

I'd be talking to the supplier about a replacement wheel. Surely spokes should last longer than 6 months and 1000Km. You're not a heavy rider so weight is not likely to be a factor.

Also you don't state whether it's a front or rear wheel. Replacing a spoke on a rear wheel with the G3 spoke pattern will be more problematic in getting the wheel re-tensioned and running true as far as I recall from previous reading around.

If you do end up tackling it yourself then this video might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaC1x-K20Cc
  • Anonymous

Only 6 months old???

I'd be talking to the supplier about a replacement wheel. Surely spokes should last longer than 6 months and 1000Km. You're not a heavy rider so weight is not likely to be a factor.

Also you don't state whether it's a front or rear wheel. Replacing a spoke on a rear wheel with the G3 spoke pattern will be more problematic in getting the wheel re-tensioned and running true as far as I recall from previous reading around.

If you do end up tackling it yourself then this video might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaC1x-K20Cc

Its the rear wheel. I would normally be taking them back to the place of purchase. Unfortunately I got them in Germany but I don't live there anymore. I was going to contact Campagnolo directly and ask about warranty but that could go either way for a spoke. Wheel had been running true and only noticed it had snapped when I heard it brushing the seat stay. Roads were not particularly potholed or bumpy.

I have never had a spoke snap on me in nearly 15 years of riding. Im not a novice rider and I am very technically knowledgeable on bikes. But wheels and spokes are something I have not had much need to touch on. I have trued wheels before but not bladed spokes and most were handbuilts which are by definition easier to true and maintain.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The spoke will have failed through fatigue. It is the only mechanism for failure once breakage through impact has been ruled out. You simply had a bad wheel. You can try warranty but you will be without your wheels for a while. It will be a lottery how long the others last if you do get it replaced. You may get thousands of miles or a few hundred. No one can tell you the answer.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.