DI2 bike build

Kerrjohn1983
Kerrjohn1983 Posts: 27
edited October 2015 in Workshop
Hello am currently looking at building a road bike, I want to use it with shimano di2 groupset, I already have my ultegra crank and dura ace direct mount brakes if i was to buy the Di2 upgrade kit is there anything additional I would need to purchase for my build??

Am very new to all this so i may seem naive, just want to build as I can do it in stages and save money on the bike I want.

Comments

• DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Chain, cassette, bottom bracket, brake cables and outers.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    My Di2 upgrade kit from Merlin Cycles came with brake cables (both inners and outers).
  • I just upgraded my bike from mechanical to Di2.

Suggest you do a lot of reading first as there are different ways you could do it.

Your brakes will work fine with Di2 levers.

I didn't buy the upgrade kit because I needed some specific (longer) cable lengths as it wasn't possible to connect the internal B junction via the normal bottom bracket route. I had to bring all cables up through the top of the seatpost, attach the B junction, and feed them all back down the seatpost. I had to teach myself about how Di2 all connects up and do all the measuring before I could order the right stuff.

Once I got the stuff it was easy to put it all together and it works like a dream :-)
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I've upgraded my old frame to di2.

Its worth remembering if the frame is internal or external ? I bought the external battery version.

NIK7721-465x440.jpg

If you get the external version its also worth buying the Shimano di2 "cable sheaths". Basically these are stick on plastic guttering thats pretty good. Same diameter as the cable, can be cut to length, holds external cables in pace and protects them. Its stuck under the down tube and chain stay and looks pretty neat, invisible on my black down tube.

smewc2l.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

The beauty of the external battery is it's detachable to recharge. Never had a problem in the wet.

When installing. You'll need a Windows laptop or a LBS store to plug in and sort initial software out.

If you have a new Garmin, buying the Shimano D-fly and plugging it in-between the rear derailleur and the cable will display what gear you are in on the screen. Handy at night, hard to describe how good it is until you tried it. Its tiny in real life. About size of a thumb print and bungees onto the seat stay.

smeww01.jpg

Another thing you can buy is separate shifter buttons for riding with your hands on top of the bars. Just use a cable tie and plug in.

dsc_0038-001.jpg

Di2 is an awesome groupset. No more losing index or jumping out of gear.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby