Identify this please before I go mad

AdamJ
AdamJ Posts: 63
edited October 2015 in Workshop
I have had my bike on the turbo for a few weeks now, it's not had much use recently until I bought some new wheels so took it for a spin, now on harder efforts through the left pedal stroke there is a horrible noise, as though something is grinding or rattling loose. I pulled up to take this video and noticed I could make the sound again while static by leaning the bike slightly and pushing down on the left pedal. It's driving me nuts, and I'm a bit concerned I have cracked something by over tightening on the turbo. Any help?

http://youtu.be/VAfxQQXbioY

Comments

• It sounds a bit like a spoke moving.
  • AdamJ
    I did think that for a moment but they all seem secure enough, it doesn't rattle over bumps either. Just seems to be more apparent under pressure
  • Try 'twanging' them all in turn and see if one makes a different note.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Might be worth looking at your bottom bracket. Could just be a coincidence that you swapped wheels.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • AdamJ
    Spokes appear ok.

Funny you should mention the BB it's about time I got it replaced, seems a bit "slow" albeit still smooth. I think seeing the frame flex as I put pressure down made me forget that could be an issue
  • It's unclear where the noise is coming from on the video but presumably by the camera shot it's more the Rear end than the BB.
    Just a thought, when you fitted the cassette, did you fit all the spacers ?
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,172
    is the rear wheel fully seated?

creaky qr?

is the mech hanger tight?

might be easiest to put it on the turbo, if you can get the noise going there maybe someone else can try to hear which area it's coming from
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • AdamJ
    I think I've found it - the noise seems to be coming from the spokes after all, they are flexing A LOT on the lower most (6 o'clock) position as me weight is against the pedal. i think the noise is where the spokes cross one another as I can deaden it somewhat by holding with a spare hand, although tension is also passed through nearby spokes which create the noise to a smaller degree. This doesn't happen with a different wheel in place.
    The wheel runs true but I'm not sure if I should tighten the spokes a little all around, they're looser than the front wheel.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Where the spokes cross each other, stick a tiny bit of grease there and give them a gentle squeeze together.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • AdamJ
    Where the spokes cross each other, stick a tiny bit of grease there and give them a gentle squeeze together.

Should i be worried about the spoke tension as well? It aint broke, so......