Another wheel thread - please help!

Crumpets
Crumpets Posts: 4
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to make my first wheel upgrade and would appreciate some advice.

I am quite a light rider (48kgs) and live in a fairly hilly area so want the lightest wheelset I can afford. So far I have narrowed my search down to:

Cero AR30s - These seem too cheap?!
Shimano Dura Ace C24
Fulcrum Racing Zero
Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite

So...what do you folks think?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You haven't mentioned your budget, but if you are looking for the lightest wheelset, then just buy the lightest wheels from that list. Problem solved.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    The Cero AR30 are fantastic, I have had them for 3 years with no problems and they have been well used, 3000 miles+.I am circa 90 kg so at 48kg you should not have to worry about durability. Unlike the factory options the spokes are Sapim spokes which are freely available, so broken spoke replacement should not be an issue.
  • You haven't mentioned your budget, but if you are looking for the lightest wheelset, then just buy the lightest wheels from that list. Problem solved.

Apologies - my budget is about £700 but i'd prefer a bit less!
    The wheels I've narrowed it down to all weigh roughly the same - I was wondering if anyone could give me a comparison based on personal experience.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If you want to spend less get some build with the Ryde pulse sprint rims in 24f/28r with decent hubs and Sapim Laser or DT Swiss rev spokes. Weight can be 1400g or lighter depending on how much you spend on the hubs and they are the equal of the factory sets with less of a spend. At 48kg you probably would be fine on a 20f/24R set with these rims but more spokes at the back only add 20g and make the wheel a fair bit stiffer. You could also use the pacenti sl23 rim in 20f/24R.

Campagnolo Shamal is another option. The c24 wheels are not very stiff but you are under 50 kg so it does not matter much.

All the factory option you have mentioned use narrow rims 15mm internal width. The Ryde rim is 17.8mm internal width. The wider the rim is internally the more comfortable the ride will be plus other benefits. So get handbuilt if you want a wide rim but if you want an off the shelf factory wheel campagnolo Shamal and DA C24's for you would be a good buy. Fulcrum would be as well.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.