Road bike buying advice

therealneil
therealneil Posts: 5
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm doing a 250 mile charity bike ride next year from North West England up to Scotland, which we're completing over three days.

I don't own a bike at the moment and am just about to start cycling to work and training for it, so need a bike through our cycle scheme at work. I need some advice of what to buy, so thought this would be a great place to start.

I've considered two road models:

Bianchi Vertigo 105 (2015 model) - £1,200
http://m.evanscycles.com/products/bianchi/vertigo-105-2015-road-bike-ec116122#reviews

Focus Cayo 105 Mix - £1,299
http://www.focus-bikes.com/gb/en/bikes/2016/road/performance-cayo/cayo-105-mix.html

Which is better? I can't see much difference in spec. The Bianchi model is last year's so although it's cheaper, does that mean it's missing out on spec somewhere? I appreciate they're a more established brand but does this make the bike better in this instance, as well as cheaper?

As we're doing a lot of miles, I've also been looking at the Focus Ergoride model - is it worth going for a 'more comfortable' bike?

Focus Izalco Ergoride 105 - £1,299
http://www.focus-bikes.com/gb/en/bikes/2016/road/endurance-izalco-ergoride/izalco-ergoride-105.html

Thanks for all your help :-)

Neil

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Both of the Focus bikes state Shimano 105 drivetrain but don't specify which incarnation. I'm assuming that it is the 5800 11-speed version since they are current (2016) models.

As you say - there's not a lot to choose between the 3 you have listed. My only observation is that the Bianchi has a compact (50/34) chainset whereas the 2 Focus bikes have a semi-compact (52/36). As a relatively new cyclist my suggestion would be to go for the Bianchi - it will give you a wider range of gears to cope with long days in the saddle and steep hills when you have already ridden for 6-7hours.

Just to confirm another important factor. Is this a supported ride ie you won't be carrying any clothing/tents on the bike?
  • [quote="

As you say - there's not a lot to choose between the 3 you have listed. My only observation is that the Bianchi has a compact (50/34) chainset whereas the 2 Focus bikes have a semi-compact (52/36). As a relatively new cyclist my suggestion would be to go for the Bianchi - it will give you a wider range of gears to cope with long days in the saddle and steep hills when you have already ridden for 6-7hours.
    [/quote]

This, and getting a bike which is the right size are the most important things. You won't notice minor differences in quality/ spec but you will feel the difference between a bike which fits you and one which doesn't and one with gears low enough to get up hills at the end of a long day and one without. For long distances, getting a saddle which is right for you and investing in a decent pair of shorts will also help.
  • Great, thanks for your help. I'll go and get sized up on both bikes and see which feels more comfortable. I'm glad to say that we have a support crew, yes :-)

I just went in to Evans Cycles and the assistant told me that the Bianchi bike had a slightly higher spec as it had the full 105 set. Is that right? Also, as it's a 2015 bike, does that make it a 2015 105 set, or has it not changed in the last year?
  • Great, thanks for your help. I'll go and get sized up on both bikes and see which feels more comfortable. I'm glad to say that we have a support crew, yes :-)

I just went in to Evans Cycles and the assistant told me that the Bianchi bike had a slightly higher spec as it had the full 105 set. Is that right? Also, as it's a 2015 bike, does that make it a 2015 105 set, or has it not changed in the last year?
    Assuming the spec on the website is correct, it's not full 105. Chainset isn't 105 but is the same on both the Bianchi and Focus Cayo, brakes aren't 105 on either but are different on the two bikes (no idea which is better).

Very little in the spec between them, try them both, see which one feels more comfortable to you. If you like them both, pick the one you like the look of most - the answer would have been the Bianchi, but it's the wrong colour!