New Bizango - Gears Question

Mikey07
Mikey07 Posts: 6
edited December 2015 in MTB beginners
I treated myself to a new Bizango and picked it up on Monday. I've been out on it every day and I'm finding that the gears don't always change right away. Sometimes it can be up to 10 seconds after I make the change before it changes, or if I click the gear lever again it'll change two gears. It seems to just be the gears in the middle of the cog that cause the problem.

I'm assuming it's a minor set up problem and just needs tweaked? If so I'll take it back and get them to sort it.

I was a bit wary of buying from Halfords but as they're the only retailer who has them I didn't have any option!

Other than that the bike is fantastic and I'm loving it 8)

Thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just read Parktools and learn to index the gears. You'll need to do it often enough.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Will do. Thanks.
  • I took it back to Halfords today and left it with them for an hour or so. When I went to collect it I was told that there were "a number of things that were causing the problem". I suspect the Bike Build that was included when I bought it extended to no more than taking it out of the box and straightening it out!

All is well now, but when I spend 600 quid on anything I expect it to work......
  • I had it back at Halfords earlier this week for its 6 week service and it came back worse than it was when I first got it. So I took it to an independent repair shop this morning and although it's better, it's still not right.

Genuine question here.... All I want is for it to change gear when I tell it to and NOT to change gear when I'm cycling along (particularly up a hill) when it fancies it. Presumably that's not a general problem with gears on bikes that you just have to live with?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope, either both places are incompetent or something is wrong.

I would try and do it yourself and see.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Sounds like an indexing and / or cable tension problem, or possibly a kinked cable somewhere.

As suggested above have a look on the Park Tools site for reference and have a go yourself.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I suspect the Bike Build that was included when I bought it extended to no more than taking it out of the box and straightening it out!
    That's exactly what it should be.......what did you expect, it's not really a build it's a PDI.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I took it back to Halfords on Friday and they seem to have got to the bottom of it. They reckon the chain was too long so they've taken a couple of links out and all seems well now.

I picked it up this afternoon and cycled it back. It's only 1.5 miles and fairly flat but it didn't miss a change.

Fingers crossed........