Brake Efficiency Research

rowanchick94
rowanchick94 Posts: 2
edited July 2016 in Campaign
Hi Guys,

I'm currently studying Product Design and Technology at Loughborough University, and for my final year project I'm looking at developing road bike handlebars and brake levers to improve braking efficiency.

The main area of my focus is brake lever positioning and how this can be adapted around the bar to make braking easier. From earlier research I have found that a problem with braking is that from 'resting' hand positions, it can be hard to adjust hand positioning to apply the brakes. Other than adding multiple brake levers, as the whole of the bar can't be covered with them efficiently, does anybody have any ideas on how I can take on this problem.

I would also appreciate it if anyone has any braking problems that they could highlight, or any suggestions on how braking can be made easier/ more efficient.

I have a very quick survey active that I would be thankful if you could spare a couple of minutes to complete:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Z3WL3V9

I will be grateful for any positive response, and I look forward to any feedback you may have.

Many thanks.

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I think you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. I find braking from the hoods or drops equally easy and efficient on correctly adjusts bars/ levers and I don't have a problem shifting from the tops to the hoods to brake if I need to. Is it just me?

PP
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,173
    You have highlighted what you perceive as a problem, now you are asking for a solution? Shouldn't that be your input to the project?

If you really want to see such problem, then I would say a lever which works well for small hands might be a good product
    left the forum March 2023
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    A bit late to reply now, given that the OP posted in October and his final year project was probably wrapped up a couple of months ago and he's more than likely graduated by now ;)