Selle Turbo

niallmo
niallmo Posts: 103
edited January 2016 in Vintage bikes forum
The eighties classic.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Thinking of one for my Team Corsa, other possibility is a Charge Spoon. I have one on my Carrera and quite like it. I know they will be quite different..,

Comments

• The eighties classic.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Thinking of one for my Team Corsa, other possibility is a Charge Spoon. I have one on my Carrera and quite like it. I know they will be quite different..,

I used one for many years back in the day. I used to get a numb dick after long rides but in those days there were few alternatives and no "perineum cutouts" and such like.

Now the saddle that fits me best is a Specialized Toupe although on my old steel I use a Selle Italia C2 Gel Flow and it's really comfy too. Also looks a bit more retro than in shape and material (leather) than the minimalist plastic Toupe. My old numbness problem is no more, too.

As always though, saddles are such a personal thing, you may find the Turbo fine.
  • I have one, it's fine
    left the forum March 2023
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I swapped a Charge spoon for a Turbo on my 80s Moser over the summer. To be honest the spoon was more comfortable for me, although the Turbo isn't uncomfortable and looks better. On the Turbo I get the impression I'm sliding slightly from side to side, whilst the spoon flet more seated, if that makes sense. There's an photo of the Moser with Turbo here https://www.strava.com/activities/367589858, the previous white spoon just didn't look right.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I have used Turbos for years - a couple of early 90s ones and more recently a newer vintage one as a replacement. Nice saddles, you can get away without cycling shorts for short distances whereas with my SLRs I never really fancy riding them without bike specific kit on. Perfect for the pub bike then, or something that needs a vintage look without going the whole hog and getting a Brooks.
  • niallmo
    niallmo Posts: 103
    I think it's now worth getting one to try as the Raleigh isn't my main bike but it'll look the part. I can get a white Charge Spoon at a later date as it'll suit at least two of the others rides anyway. Thanks for the experiences, I'll report back in a couple of weeks...
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    On a retro bike, it has to be the Turbo
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I have one on the Ti - its OK. Looks good!
    Insert bike here: