Looking to get a new mountain bike

theoallen
theoallen Posts: 35
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a new mountain bike, probably on finance as I'd rather spread payments out.

Halfords do a good finance deal, so I've done my research and have decided on a hardtail, and have the idea of getting either a Boardman Mountain Bike Pro 29er or a Voodoo Bizango, what do you guys think would be best?

Amy other bikes you could suggest? Doesn't necessarily have to be from Halfords! My budget is anything under £1000.

Thank you

Comments

• You'll get a good solid bike from halfords. Plenty of reviews available so you know what your getting. What type of cycling are you doing?
    I would get the boardman. Better fork and lighter bike. Great reviews.
    Voodoo has a longer travel fork. Good tyres and wheels too.
    Why you getting a 29r? Seems to be going out of fashion? I'm not against it. It's just different.
  • You'll get a good solid bike from halfords. Plenty of reviews available so you know what your getting. What type of cycling are you doing?
    I would get the boardman. Better fork and lighter bike. Great reviews.
    Voodoo has a longer travel fork. Good tyres and wheels too.
    Why you getting a 29r? Seems to be going out of fashion? I'm not against it. It's just different.

Just general riding, I'm more of a beginner, so still breaking into the sport! I'll have a look at them!
    Why what's up with 29era? What would you recommend?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    29 refers to the wheel size, original mountain bikes had 26" wheels (nominal size measured as the diameter of the wheel AND tyre) then 29 came along (actually 28.5" if measured in the same way) which roll better over lumps and bumps for comfort and less rolling resistance, but also feel a little less wieldy, more recently 650b (also called 27.5) came along as a compromise being half way between the two (well that is what the 27.5 implies, although it's actually 27" when measured in the same way as a 26")

So the best wheel size depends on the type of riding you wil do, both are good bikes (the Boardman is the better), but may not be the best for you and your usage.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.