Cannondale Supersix small frame size

ben-----
ben----- Posts: 573
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm 5'7"(170cm), inseam 31"(79cm). Would a Cannondale Supersix 50cm be too small?

Comments

• DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Generally speaking, no.
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    I'm 5'6" and ride a 50cm and a 52cm EVO. I would say go for a 52cm.
  • I'm 5' 9" with short arms and legs and ride a 50 cm with a 100 mm stem. You might be more comfortable on a 48 depending on your arm length.
  • ben-----
    I'm 5' 9" with short arms and legs and ride a 50 cm with a 100 mm stem. You might be more comfortable on a 48 depending on your arm length.

48?! No, surely? Are you talking about a Cannondale Supersix? It seems a 52 would be appropriate, it's just that a 50 is available to me and I was wondering if it might fit or be too small. Obviously the way to find out is to try it out while adjusting stuff, but that's not easy.
    Generally speaking, no.

Is that, generally speaking a SS 50cm isn't too small for someone 5'7", or, generally speaking a SS 50cm isn't right for someone 5'7"?

Yup, that's the general impression I'm getting. Was hoping a 50 might fit though.

I wonder if I can try in a shop, even though I have no intention of buying from them. Feels a bit dodgy/awkward. Anyway, I suspect a 50 probably is too small. The only thing is, the guy who's selling it is an inch taller than me and says it's a good fit for him… but then he's the one selling it.
  • DKay
    I'm 5' 9" with short arms and legs and ride a 50 cm with a 100 mm stem. You might be more comfortable on a 48 depending on your arm length.

48?! No, surely? Are you talking about a Cannondale Supersix? It seems a 52 would be appropriate, it's just that a 50 is available to me and I was wondering if it might fit or be too small. Obviously the way to find out is to try it out while adjusting stuff, but that's not easy.
    Generally speaking, no.

Is that, generally speaking a SS 50cm isn't too small for someone 5'7", or, generally speaking a SS 50cm isn't right for someone 5'7"?

Yup, that's the general impression I'm getting. Was hoping a 50 might fit though.

I wonder if I can try in a shop, even though I have no intention of buying from them. Feels a bit dodgy/awkward. Anyway, I suspect a 50 probably is too small. The only thing is, the guy who's selling it is an inch taller than me and says it's a good fit for him… but then he's the one selling it.

A small will generally fit you just fine at 5'7''. Better to have a road bike which is slightly on the small side, rather than too big.
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    I'm 5'10" with a long torso / shortish legs (30" ish) and ride a 54cm CAAD10, same geo as the S6. I could probably rise a 52cm with a longer atem.

A 50cm will give you the option of a tall or stretched fit, you'll be fine.
  • ben-----
    OK that's great thanks. What I wanted to hear.

As the frame gets smaller what's the first problem that comes into play? Is it that it makes you sit up too much? Or is that the seat post can't be long enough to get the right saddle height? Or something else?

I've just got the book Bike Fit by Phil Burt. Haven't read it yet but skimmed the first few chapters. Amazingly, the most fundamental initial thing of choosing which bike size isn't, from what I can see, tackled at all in the book. :/ Also the side on shots which show rider posture, they're all with the the guy holding the brake hoods. I'd have thought using the drop part of the bars would be the main position to look at. Apparently not.
  • DKay
    OK that's great thanks. What I wanted to hear.

As the frame gets smaller what's the first problem that comes into play? Is it that it makes you sit up too much? Or is that the seat post can't be long enough to get the right saddle height? Or something else?

Also the side on shots which show rider posture, they're all with the the guy holding the brake hoods. I'd have thought using the drop part of the bars would be the main position to look at. Apparently not.

It sounds to me that this is your very first road bike, or you're an inexperienced roadie? You will spend by far the vast majority of the time riding on the hoods, compared to the drops. Regardless, you should feel comfortable when riding both.

A small frame will actually allow you to have a lower riding position, as it has a smaller head tube. This is why you find the pros generally riding a bike one size too small than us mere mortals would normally ride, as it allows them a very aggressive position. The bike is then made to fit, using a slightly longer stem.

If a bike is too small, then the main problem is the top tube isn't long enough and you end up being cramped up. But, trust us when we say that a 50cm Supersix isn't too small for you at 5'7''. Especially as you have quite a long inseam, which suggests that your torso is reletively short and the 52cm frame's top tube would be too long for you.
  • ben-----
    No I've done a lot of riding, especially the last couple of years. I do use the drop bars a lot probably most of the time.

> A small frame will actually allow you to have a lower riding position, as it has a smaller head tube.

Right, I was thinking of the distance/reach; as it gets shorter that must make you sit up more. But then also, I see as you say the top of the head tube is lower in relation to the position of the BB.

> If a bike is too small, then the main problem is the top tube isn't long enough and you end up being cramped up. But, trust us when we say that a 50cm Supersix isn't too small for you at 5'7''. Especially as you have quite a long inseam, which suggests that your torso is reletively short and the 52cm frame's top tube would be too long for you.

OK, that's great, thanks very much for the info.
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    It's pretty much impossible to say what the correct size for you is based on your height. You need to know the stack and reach of a frame you have already ridden and are comfortable on or have a bike fit.

For what it's worth, I'm 5'9" and ride a 54 cm Supersix Evo. Unless you are very flexible I would suggest that you don't get a frame that is too small as you'll end up in too aggressive a riding position, especially since the Supersix has quite a short head tube.
  • DKay
    No I've done a lot of riding, especially the last couple of years. I do use the drop bars a lot probably most of the time.

If that is the case, then match up the Cannondale's geometry with what you're currently riding. That's the easiest solution.
  • Try one and find out. Why would you base a 2k buying decision upon advice from a stranger off a random internet forum.
  • SLR021
    SLR021 Posts: 79
    Try one and find out. Why would you base a 2k buying decision upon advice from a stranger off a random internet forum.

I think that this is very good advice, advice is cheap but bikes arn't. These bikes come in 2cm size increments all way from 48 to 63cm (OK 60 to 63 is the one 3cm jump) so getting a non compromise fit is totally possible.
    At 5'7" you are at the upper end height for a 52cm and the starting size for a 54cm, try to try both. A 50cm in this bike is truly tiny, and though you probably could ride it, would likely give a fairly radical position.
    Ignore "advice" from anyone using terms like "generally" in regards to bike fit. After all, you want a bike to specifically fit YOU not anyone else,.. In this context generality's are rough guide at best, and at worst totally unreliable/meaningless when it comes to an actual buying decision.
  • I bought a Supersix Evo a couple of months back. I'm 5'7" and the 48cm frame was right for me. I do like quite a compact and aggressive geometry however. I was told, for what it's worth, by the sales assistant that the numerical sizes on Cannondale road bikes can equate to a bigger frame than for other manufacturers.

However, as said above, try out the bike in question if you can, as I was able to before parting with a significant wedge.
  • DKay
    I bought a Supersix Evo a couple of months back. I'm 5'7" and the 48cm frame was right for me. I do like quite a compact and aggressive geometry however. I was told, for what it's worth, by the sales assistant that the numerical sizes on Cannondale road bikes can equate to a to a bigger frame than for other manufacturers.

That is what I've heard about Supersix frames too. At 5'7'', you're in no way at the upper end of a 52cm frame, despite what paxington (SLR021) says above. He's only saying that to have a pop at what I said earlier, as he likes to troll my posts, as well as a few others. As I've already said, a 31'' inseam with a height of 5'7'', means that you have a comparatively short torso. So the 50cm frame with a top tube length of 525mm would probably fit you well with a 90 - 100mm stem.

You really need to sit on one to find out for sure though. Or, just do as I've already suggested and see how the geometry of your current bike compares. What so you currently ride?
  • SLR021
    SLR021 Posts: 79

You really need to sit on one to find out for sure though.

There it is....responsible advice (at last)....
    As opposed to irresponsible :

If a bike is too small, then the main problem is the top tube isn't long enough and you end up being cramped up. But, trust us when we say that a 50cm Supersix isn't too small for you at 5'7''.

Pointing out that advice is unsound is purely for the benefit of the person spending their hard earned cash, and not in any way personal to anyone else.
  • DKay
    Give it a rest paxington. You can use an IP proxy as much as you like, but we all know who you really are and your history on this forum, in all of your previous (banned) guises.
  • Give it a rest paxington. You can use an IP proxy as much as you like, but we all know who you really are and your history on this forum, in all of your previous (banned) guises.

Paxo must live a said lonely existence to constantly re-appear ban after ban.
    Paxo should just sod off like the sad little tw@t he is and find something useful to do.
  • DKay
    He can't help himself, as somebody commented on the Superstar Components wheel thread. So he felt compelled to promote their sale.

Make of that, what you will.