Liner gloves

johnnymcg259
johnnymcg259 Posts: 569
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm going to try the 'liner glove' approach this winter.
There's lots of liner gloves out there that's for sure......any advice on decent ones(or avoid ones) might help me narrow the decision down a bit. Don't want to spend too much but I know the 'buy cheap/buy twice' saying to be true re cycle clothing. :(

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Cheap silk ones off Ebay for £3-4 a pair for me. Why cotton when you can have silk?
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I got some btwin ones recently for about £6 and I'm currently using them under mits and loving it - lots of feel but also warm hands. When it gets reall cold I'll probably wear them under my winter gloves.
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    I'm going to try the 'liner glove' approach this winter.
    There's lots of liner gloves out there that's for sure......any advice on decent ones(or avoid ones) might help me narrow the decision down a bit. Don't want to spend too much but I know the 'buy cheap/buy twice' saying to be true re cycle clothing. :(

It depends how much room you have in your 'outer' gloves. There are thin roubaix type gloves out there, but if you have minimal room, as mentioned you can't beat silk liners. You can pick some up at outdoor/mountaineering type shops.
  • cheers all....going to go for for cheaper silk type ones from the Bay.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Would silk not slip about and feel weird (or could feel v nice I guess)?
    I have collected various pairs (in sales) for running and cycling, and the material of some is uncomfortable and/or does not work that great under the full finger outer glove.

My fave are Assos ones. They are very 'fitted' and have silicon palms/fingers so do not move about at all.
    Its a bit of a long story how I ended up with Assos ones, but now I have them they are so much nicer than others I have.

You can wear them on their own or under mitts too (silicon fingers do not slip on levers) so are very versatile.
  • I'll post some comments once i've had chance to wear the liners/over gloves .......once the winter arrives. :(
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    You seem to have made up your mind already but I fully support the concept of silk liner gloves. Granted, it's not that cold at the moment (about 10 degrees when I set out this morning) but my hands were very warm with thin gloves and silk liners and I'll carry on wearing the same combination through winter if it's anything like last year. Only problem with silk is that it's a pain with 'hook side' of velcro. Bottom line is that you have probably spent £5 at the most and that's painless to write off if they don't work for you.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • cheap Karrimor ones from sports direct do the trick for me
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    As said above, velro kills silk gloves, otherwise they last well and add a surprising amount of warmth under gloves. If you have plenty of room in your gloves these http://www.mainmanshop.co.uk/product.php/13303704/ansell_78_101_thermaknit_insulator_glove_liners___ knitted type gloves are great. They do ones with silicone dots on the palm which are also good.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Would silk not slip about and feel weird (or could feel v nice I guess)?
    I have collected various pairs (in sales) for running and cycling, and the material of some is uncomfortable and/or does not work that great under the full finger outer glove.

My fave are Assos ones. They are very 'fitted' and have silicon palms/fingers so do not move about at all.
    Its a bit of a long story how I ended up with Assos ones, but now I have them they are so much nicer than others I have.

You can wear them on their own or under mitts too (silicon fingers do not slip on levers) so are very versatile.

The silk gloves l have (around a tenner from Tog24) are not that 'type' of silk - it's more of a cotton feel to it so no issues with a lack of friction. Silk is one of the warmest materials for its weight, so they work really well.
    Just beware though, they can be quite delicate in the wash, so hand wash only. I had a pair that wore through after a few times in the machine, so I won't be making that mistake again. Not only do they make good inner gloves due to the thin material, I also use them in spring/Autumn under fingerless gloves to take the edge off, and I have also found that being so thin you can operate a smartphone without removing them.
  • Thanks all........I've got some synthetic silk thingy's off Ebay for a few quid. I've worn them under Sealskinz for an early morning commute at circa 7C and had to stop after 15 min & take off the liners as my hands were roasting! I think on that basis they'll see me ok down to freezing + windchill......anything lower and I'll be nowhere near a bloody bike. :D
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    cheap Karrimor ones from sports direct do the trick for me

I've got several pairs of these for working in +2c inside a pair of large work gloves, I can get away with medium gloves on bare hands.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Surprised these haven't been mentioned: merino wool thermal liners (EDZ brand, for example).