Cycling clothing options

Jon van derlim
Jon van derlim Posts: 12
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all, after being a Mounting Biker for the last 20+ years I have just ordered a 2016 Scott Speedster 20 (due in Nov) and will need to adapt my cycling wardrobe to suit, after a look around the inter-web and local shops it strikes me that road specific clothing can be quite expensive and lower cost options are less available, can some one point me in the direction of a brand that offers value and function?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

Comments

• Not sure where you've been looking but I'd say the opposite it true (these days less so...says the veteran of 3 years...)

Ok, try decathlon, dhb at wiggle (their own brand, good value and quality)...aldi/lidl have cycling promotions every couple months that people go mad over (I'm not so keen) and the current sales everywhere are your friend!

Endura and altura seem to be the gear most shops stock as default, they cover the low/low to medium end I think? Decent value too.
    Other people will have further suggestions but there's plenty of decent cheapish gear out there, don't worry
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    edited October 2015
    You can't go far wrong with Wiggle's DHB brand.
    Great value, fit and good quality - the perfect stuff for starting on the road.

Ribble are also very good for having sales on bib shorts etc, so keep your eyes peeled and you should be able to pick up some bargains along the way.

Best of luck with the Speedster - hope you like it.
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    I've bought a fair bit of dhb and Altura cycling clothing in recent weeks and it's all good stuff. I'm also really happy with Didoo cycling clothing. It's a fraction of the price of mainstream brands off eBay. It comes direct from Didoo. I'd recommend ordering one size smaller than the size you order normally as its a nice, relaxed fit.

£20 for a pair of thermal Roubaix bib tights for the colder months. Great for leisure cyclists amongst us who don't ride that much.
  • Thanks all I will spend a little more time looking around, that Lusso stuff looks nice too, anyone got any experience of Dare2B as they have a sale on and it looks good quality?
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    If you have an Aldi near you, they may still have some of the recent cycling 'event' stuff left - although the popular sizes will have gone by now. These periodic offers are always worth looking out for, especially for someone wanting to build up a road cycling wardbrode without breaking the bank.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/our-specialbuy-events/cycling/
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    One mans 'quite expensive' is another mans 'lower cost' but I would certainly echo the earlier recommendation for Lusso. Great kit at what IMHO are very, very reasonable prices. I would however add that the Lusso website can sometimes be more expensive than some of their stockists (Ribble and Merlin spring to mind).
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    Thanks all I will spend a little more time looking around, that Lusso stuff looks nice too, anyone got any experience of Dare2B as they have a sale on and it looks good quality?

I have a Dare2B cycling jersey. Full zip front. Looks fantastic and is very comfortable to wear.