Sealskinz Socks

drewesq
drewesq Posts: 137
edited October 2015 in Road general
My feet were fricking cold this morning and I was thinking that I definitely need to get some thermal (and possibly waterproof socks, since I also MTB a fair amount) socks. Can anyone on here recommend a model of sealskinz they might use? Oh, they need to be black!
Cannondale CAADX Disc 2014 Tiagra - Blue
Charge Plug 0
Voodoo Bizango 2015
Ridgeback World Tour (mainly for commuting and holidays)
:mrgreen:

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    My feet were ******* cold this morning and I was thinking that I definitely need to get some thermal (and possibly waterproof socks, since I also MTB a fair amount) socks. Can anyone on here recommend a model of sealskinz they might use? Oh, they need to be black!

I've got Sealskinz waterproof socks but last winter I borrowed these from my ski drawer:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ski-socks-dream-heat-black-grey-id_8227881.html

They were warmer than the Sealskinz despite wet feet.

I find that the Sealskinz membrane is too restrictive (it doesn't stretch) and my toes feel constrained and sore. The socks are for my foot size so it's not the case that I bought too small.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I have Sealskinz socks and they remain firmly in the drawer whilst I wear my DeFeet Woolie Boolies. I just found the SS too restrictive, sweaty and generally horrible feeling (despite being my size!). The Woolie Boolies are just supremely comfortable and very, very warm. (I wear them with my Shimano AM45s for MTB work or under Planet X shoe covers on the road bike.)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Cant really recommend an alternative but every item of sealskins clothing i bought has been crap. The socks are waterproof but the fit is terrible and zero breathability.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • drewesq
    Interesting! I probably won't buy any sealskinz socks then!

I have found some of those woolie boolies though on Wiggle so thanks for your help.

FWIW I have a pair of gloves and they're very warm, I wouldn't have wanted to be without them this morning, had to be 0 degrees on Dartmoor at 7am!
    Charge Plug 0
    Voodoo Bizango 2015
  • drewesq
    BTW noodleman that is quite an impressive garage you're rocking there!
    Charge Plug 0
    Voodoo Bizango 2015
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Personally, I'm not usually a fan of Aldi cycling kit but just recently I have lapsed and bought some arm and leg warmers and, more relevant to the OP, some 'waterproof' socks. FWIW, they seem very good but other than trying them on for size, I haven't worn them in anger yet. That said, I've got to say that they fit a lot better than the Sealskinz ones that I have tried in the past.
    PS. the warmers are all pretty good too but I'm still not keen on most of their other cycling kit - IMHO it just looks like what it costs and is just not for me.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    I have Sealskinz socks and they remain firmly in the drawer whilst I wear my DeFeet Woolie Boolies. I just found the SS too restrictive, sweaty and generally horrible feeling (despite being my size!). The Woolie Boolies are just supremely comfortable and very, very warm. (I wear them with my Shimano AM45s for MTB work or under Planet X shoe covers on the road bike.)

Exactly this. Hardly ever worn my Sealskinz as they never seem to keep my feet warm. Save them for really muddy days on the mtb. Woolie Boolies are what you need
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I have some Sealskins socks from walking and MTB. OK if your feet are going to get soaked, but quite thick for warr with road cycling shoes. I got some woolly socks from M&S in the Christmas sales last year and they've been great. Just a little thicker than normal and nicely warm.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I used Sealskins walking socks on wet days on a tour to the North coast of Norway. Never once in three months did my feet get wet. They feel a bit weird when you put them on but there's nothing you notice once you are on the bike and pedalling.

Definitely recommended but that isn't to say that other varieties of waterproof sock might not be better (or worse).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Cant really recommend an alternative but every item of sealskins clothing i bought has been crap. The socks are waterproof but the fit is terrible and zero breathability.

I agree.
  • IME they do work in that they are waterproof and ok for breathability - BUT - the big problems are:

the membrane is not flexible so you need to be careful with them (I tore the membrane in a pair),
    the sizing is poor and doesn't correspond to what packaging says (size up too small IME),
    the shape is very crude - I reckon that's due to the lack of flexibility in the membrane so its just a crude shape with no contouring too fit foot;

Overall though I do notice my feet are warmer and drier but I reserve them only for seriously cold and wet days.
  • I'm not a fan of sealskins for cycling.

They keep your feet dry to a point, but the big issue with any waterproofing is the gaping hole at the top where your leg goes in. In which case both winter boots and overshoes are better as they have velcro on the collars which you can do up tighter to limit the amount of water which runs down to you feet.

Overshoes keep your shoes and socks mostly dry and mud free too. Cleaning and drying shoes in time for the next ride is a PITA, especially when commuting. Putting them on wet is unpleasant and can lead to cold feet.

Finally, I find adding extra insulation inside the shoe just makes my feet colder as it restricts blood flow. This goes for thick cycling socks as well as sealskinz. I've always had better results by keeping relatively thin socks, and adding progressively thicker overshoes. toe thingy < lightweight waterproof < thick neoprene

Overshoes are generally cheaper than sealskinz too.
  • Winter cycling with waterproof socks requires new winter boots which are a size bigger. yes if you put on sealskinz with your summer road shoes they will be tight and your feet will be colder/less blood flow. Duh!

The new sealskinz are much better with a grippy layer round the top which prevents water ingress. I wear them for commuting in the winter everyday with added water resistant bib tights over the top. In really cold I add a thin pair of merinos inside them as well.

I am now on my second pair after 4 years of use.
  • When really wet the socks filled up from the top. Nasty at first but then became all warm like a wet suit. Trouble is they don't dry out again and you get squidgy poached feet! One pair didn't take kindly to being in the tumble drier.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I love my Sealskins socks. They are maybe the older type now, all black and quite chunky.

They feel a little weird at first but no breathability or functional issues.
    I often wear when its not going to rain, for the windproofness that keeps out the cold.

For sure you have to make sure water does not enter at the top though.

I would say try them for yourself.
  • Winter cycling with waterproof socks requires new winter boots which are a size bigger. yes if you put on sealskinz with your summer road shoes they will be tight and your feet will be colder/less blood flow. Duh!

Duh? Well.... if you're buying winter boots, they will be waterproof, so no need for sealskinz in the first place. And yes, obviously get a size bigger for thick socks.

However, a pair of overshoes, on top of normal cycling shoes with thin socks is far cheaper and more effective than buying sealskins socks, which was my point, Duh!

I do however have winter cycling boots for the MTB (a size up too), but this is because overshoes get ripped to piece on rocks and roots... no liely to be a problem on the road.
  • In my experience:
    Sealskinz socks are good for cool weather (say from 12 °C down to 5°C) with light rain/spray or if windy.

Woollie Boollies are great for cool weather (say from 12 °C down to 5°C) in the dry.

For 5°C down to -5°C, the best solution I've found is Woollie Boollies inside winter Goretex boots. Good all day in the dry but only a couple of hours in the wet, the water still gets in at the ankles eventually.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I can. Couple of freezer bags over a pair of merino socks. Cheaper and just as good!
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I fell for the Sealskinz advertising **** but quickly realised they might keep your feet dry for a bit longer than normal socks, but they are not warmer and are so uncomfortable that i gave up with them.

To keep your feet warm you can't beat some merino socks - woolie boolies are great but tbh the £3 Aldi woolen cycling or walking socks are excellent as well. Coupled with a pair of overshoes your feet will be drier for longer and warmer, plus far more comfy than Sealskinz.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    in my experience sealskins don't really keep warm they just keep the water out. nice thick merino socks and to keep dry or extra warmth some overshoes.thats generally what i do.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    in my experience sealskins don't really keep warm they just keep the water out. nice thick merino socks and to keep dry or extra warmth some overshoes.thats generally what i do.

Am not disputing that merino socks are not warm (have never tried them (and probably never will, as everything else merino that I have is itchy))) but confused at how you can say wind proof socks are not warmer than ordinary ones.

If you are wearing summer shoes and summer socks on cold windy days, then changing socks to ones that do not let that cold wind to your feet has got to be significantly warmer.

How are your feet dry in merino socks if the water enters through the holes where your cleats are attached?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I can. Couple of freezer bags over a pair of merino socks. Cheaper and just as good!

That is exactly what i do in the wet. Socks then freezer bags over the top. Feet stay completely dry with no squelching. Even stops water coming down the legs which is odd.
  • This year I shall mostly be using northwave winter shoes. I found sealskin socks too thick when combined with my normal road shoe and although waterproof, they didn't keep my feet toasty.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift