Considering building an enduro bike.

crazymac680
crazymac680 Posts: 66
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
I've been loving my hard tail and trail riding but last week I went a bit more hardcore.
Suddenly my bike isn't so good. I felt totally battered by the bottom.
This is what I was riding
https://youtu.be/ZRfyetfK7JQ from 5 30 it gets interesting
This video was the one that battered me
https://youtu.be/L4ER947hgac

I've got a great buzz from that riding and I'm considering an enduro event next year.
Thinking of a second hand maverick ml8 and building from there. Or maybe a giant reign. Or mega.
I'd love to have a bike that switches geometry like some of the modem bikes. Can this be done on an older frame?
Thanks for any advise

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You don't need an enduro bike for trails like that. You certainly don't need a downhill bike for the second one!
    Something like a Nukeproof Mega TR, Transition Scout, Mondraker Foxy or Specialized Stumpjumper would be perfect. They are all great for UK enduro racing as well. I have done several enduro races on my Scout. Had a couple top three times on stages, only my lack of consistency holds me back, not the bike.
    What I don't like about big enduro bikes is they take all the fun out of trails like that, they just smooth it out.
  • Thanks. Maybe I was making to large a leap in spec. I mainly choose those bikes as the guy I was with had the giant reign so I thought it was a good start. He also just had the delivery of a yt capta carbon today.
    I suppose going for a full susser with 130 travel would suit my trails better also. Where I spend 95% of my time.
    I was planning on keeping the hard tail for the trails as 160 travel would be totally wasted. So a 130 travel bike would be more of an all rounder.
    That second track was really harsh. Will the 130 travel bikes be tough enough as they are probably lighter weight built more for speed?
    Thanks
  • rockmonkeysc
    Bikes like the ones I mentioned are designed to be ridden hard. My mate also has a Transition Scout and has done all the big jumps and drops on Air Voltage and Super Morzine on it, thats as big as it gets!
    My old Mega TR took some abuse as well, 30 foot road gaps were fine on it.
    The Capra and Reign are both a lot more hard work on the climbs. I test rode a Reign for a weekend and it's brilliant going downhill but a bitch for climbing. The Capra is supposed to be worse climbing and a lot of carbon frames have cracked.
  • Thanks for the advice. Think I'm settling on about 140 travel. I love most of the bikes you recommended. Especially the stumpy and mega. Just can't stretch to them right now.
    I've started a new thread looking for advice on a cannondale trigger 4 at a bargain price.
    Thanks
  • rockmonkeysc
    You can get Mega TR frames dirt cheap. The Transition Scout is similar but better in every way but a lot more expensive.
  • kyle17290
    kyle17290 Posts: 261
    Got my mega frame for 650. Might not be the quickest, lightest or flashiest but its god damn fun to ride.
  • Thanks again. I've just ordered the trigger 4 from Paul cycles. I just couldn't spend more than a grand without getting slaughtered by the wife.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Got my mega frame for 650. Might not be the quickest, lightest or flashiest but its god damn fun to ride.

That's a spot on description of the Mega. It's also indestructible.