Problems with Giant Revel 0

eSkovgaard
eSkovgaard Posts: 8
edited November 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

As i'm somewhat rookie on this field i need som advice for optimizing my MTB

Bought a Giant Revel 0 for about a year ago, and it's a great MTB. I had it checked for about a week ago, but the things i mentioned was wrong are now causing problems again. So i need some advice for what might cause my MTB to run a little 'rusty'. First...

- Shifting gears is real bad. It tends to skip gears, and sometimes i have to 'click' the gear 3 times(!) before it shifts 1 gear, or often 2 at once. After it went to the bike shop it was somewhat fine, but now its skipping a lot of gears, and are irritating me - what is the cause? Need a new chain?

- Next i have a what would you call it? Crunchy chain? When i'm in the high gears, and i step down on the paddle at top, the chain gives a crunchy sound. Sounds like its coming from the crank?

- Lastly. Sometimes when driving straight and almost everytime i stear to the left it sounds like the front disc brakes are hitting against what might stand in the way? Can i somehow tighten the disc brakes?

Might be a a lot of info. But i'm interested in hearing if this 'normally' occurs for the Revel 0, og just general problems, and maybe how to fix them, or atleast a guidance for what might be the actual problem.

Thanks in advice! :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would suggest reading Parktools and probably indexing the gears properly, probably replacing the cables, and checking and lubing everything.

Bikes need regular routine maintenance.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Skipping gears - may need a new chain (and may need a new cassette and chainrings depending on collateral wear), may need new cables (which sounds like was causing the original shifting issue, classic sticky cables), is it skipping (jumping in a single gear) or ghost shifting into other gears? Have a look from behind, is the upper jockey wheel inline with the sprocket and the chain not touching either of the other sprockets?

Crunching noise sounds like a worn chain dragging down onto the chainring - get a chain checker on the chain and check the length.

Check the front calliper is centred properly first! Also check the retaining bolts on the disc.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'm sorry for the way too late answer - university has been hard on me!

Anyways, i appreciate the help i have gotten so far. I brought in my MTB to another mechanic, and they fixed the gear shifting problem, so that was lovely. First i tried myself doing the job by following your words, and could fulfill it (to bad).

But i still have problems with my chain, but i will try checking it, or otherwise buy a new one :)