Garmin 810 Bluetooth connection issues

adlopa
adlopa Posts: 37
edited October 2015 in Workshop
Anyone else having Bluetooth connection issues with a Garmin 810 and an iPhone with the 'Live Ride' feature?

Mine was working fine until a recentish Garmin firmware update, now it disconnects and reconnects from/to my iPhone 6 (which is well within range) every few minutes during a Live Ride. The resulting Live Ride stats and map are screwed as a result, rendering the feature useless, but the eventual GPS data appears unaffected — or at least Strava parses it OK.

I've tried everything other than a hammer so far and am currently dealing with Garmin tech support about it, but I wondered if this was just an isolated incident or if anyone else was suffering?

Comments

• grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Check the Garmin forums. They screwed up the iPhone app (and the Edge firmware) a few weeks back and nothing (other than using cables) has consistently worked since. Lots of people with the same issues which seem to be driven by the BT connection.

My wife has an iPhone and an 810 and struggles to download courses and sometimes to upload a ride. Sometimes works itself out but only after several reboots of both devices.

They really have proved themselves shockingly bad at producing software that works with their devices.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Livetrack has always been useless probably due to the constant Bluetooth issues on the 810.
    Check out the garmin forum.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Anyone else having Bluetooth connection issues with a Garmin 810 and an iPhone with the 'Live Ride' feature?

Mine was working fine until a recentish Garmin firmware update, now it disconnects and reconnects from/to my iPhone 6 (which is well within range) every few minutes during a Live Ride. The resulting Live Ride stats and map are screwed as a result, rendering the feature useless, but the eventual GPS data appears unaffected — or at least Strava parses it OK.

I've tried everything other than a hammer so far and am currently dealing with Garmin tech support about it, but I wondered if this was just an isolated incident or if anyone else was suffering?

In summary; the firmware updates of late have totally screwed up the operation of the 810/510 with regards to course following, bluetooth connection and LiveTrack and results in the screen freezing frequently. The firmware is a shared platform with the new 520 and the changes are geared around that with live Strava segments etc which the earlier devices don't seem to like. It doesn't matter if you don't set your 810 up for the segments feature, it's there in the firmware.

Solutions have varied from going back to an earlier version of the firmware, but the one that seems to work is turning Bluetooth off. If you really want LiveTrack features and you have an iPhone, download Cyclemeter. It doesn't need to connect to the 810 so in theory saves some battery life and simply enable Bluetooth on the device post ride for auto uploading.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • adlopa
    Aye, I used Cyclemeter very successfully for a long time, but the iPhone battery life just isn't up to long rides *and* use as a phone. Add GPS routing, HRM, cadence and everything else to that and Garmin is pretty much the only option.

It looks like a firmware downgrade is one solution, so since I don't need many of the newer features, that may be my best option.
  • StillGoing
    Aye, I used Cyclemeter very successfully for a long time, but the iPhone battery life just isn't up to long rides *and* use as a phone. Add GPS routing, HRM, cadence and everything else to that and Garmin is pretty much the only option.

It looks like a firmware downgrade is one solution, so since I don't need many of the newer features, that may be my best option.

I use Cyclometer now instead of LiveTrack and don't have any issues with the iPhone battery life? In fact it's arguably better than when it was being used with Bluetooth connection to the 810 and LiveTrack. I don't load any courses or anything, just activate it, put the phone on sleep and in my pocket. The 810 is still used for course following and data info from power etc.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803

I think the BT issues are as much down to the iPhone app as the Edge firmware. Downgrading the firmware sorted issues we were having with the Edge crashing but has not totally solved uploading activities etc.

All this started after an app update.

If you do downgrade the firmware though I can recommend 3.40
  • adlopa
    I use Cyclometer now instead of LiveTrack and don't have any issues with the iPhone battery life? In fact it's arguably better than when it was being used with Bluetooth connection to the 810 and LiveTrack. I don't load any courses or anything, just activate it, put the phone on sleep and in my pocket. The 810 is still used for course following and data info from power etc.
    I meant when using the iPhone as a Garmin replacement (i.e. on the bars, screen always on), rather than just a supplement. It galls me to use the 810 as nothing more than a display just because Garmin screwed up the firmware. I guess that's the simplest option, though, and the phone is active for data either way. I loved Cyclemeter, not it's no hardship to go back to.

I may try the 3.4 FW, but I had auto-upload issues for rides with an earlier FW, though I wasn't paying much attention to versions at the time. Again, that's a non-issue if I revert to Cyclemeter.

Garmin just emailed to arrange a swap-out under warranty, so I think I'll decline for now as this evidently isn't a hardware issue. I'll see what it has to say about the wider Bluetooth issues instead.
  • StillGoing
    I meant when using the iPhone as a Garmin replacement (i.e. on the bars, screen always on), rather than just a supplement. It galls me to use the 810 as nothing more than a display just because Garmin screwed up the firmware. I guess that's the simplest option, though, and the phone is active for data either way. I loved Cyclemeter, not it's no hardship to go back to.

I may try the 3.4 FW, but I had auto-upload issues for rides with an earlier FW, though I wasn't paying much attention to versions at the time. Again, that's a non-issue if I revert to Cyclemeter.

What do you use your Garmin for if not for display? It's what everyone else does surely. You're either using pages to follow performance measures, like power, speed, HR, cadence etc or following a course using the mapping. The only thing you're not doing is having it Bluetooth linked to your phone. If you've got the Garmin, why on earth would you want to follow a route on your phone instead? Just because it's been rendered as much use as an 800 thanks to Garmin doesn't mean it has suddenly become completely useless. I'm just offering an alternative to enable a LiveTrack function only until such time (make that if ever) Garmin sort out the firmware issues.

Re the Bluetooth problems and Garmin; get on over to the Garmin forum where you will find umpteen posts on the issue. There is a distinct lack of response from Garmin on the problems with the advice most receive being do a hard reset and delete all files. That doesn't work and as you've already identified, the hardware is not at fault.
  • adlopa
    Yep, you're right. Fiddling with Cyclemeter and the 810 for each ride is no different to fiddling with Garmin Connect and the 810, and the wireless use is much the same. Plus Cyclemeter actually works. Stupid Garmin.