clicking noise when turning bars

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited October 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Been running some 665mm I think bars on my hardtail bike since buying it from new and recently changed to 720 which are much better.

however when turning the handlebars there is like a click noise which I suspect is coming from the gear cables around the cable barrel tension adjuster.

Is this a sign of the outers on the gear cables not being long enough or the bend in them is too tight?

I've checked the headset and this is fine, anything else to check?

Its only a small issue but gets annoying on a long ride.

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It could be an outer cable or hose is no longer long enough now you've moved the controls out further, or it could be the headset.

Lightly pinch each cable in turn as you turn the bars, if the click goes away or you feel the cable 'twitch' you know which cable it is!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    Thanks,

I'm pretty sure its the gear cables and I will try this first.

I've ordered a new cable kit as due for some new cables anyway suppose some new outer runs are worth a try.

Just wondering what it could be with the headset it feels smooth when turning the bars and no play in the stem.
  • swod1
    New xtr cables fitted and what a difference this has made, turns out the old cables were long enough but the outer on the cables was too stiff compared with these new shimano sp41 outer which don't move about in the barrel connector anymore.

I think I've found the source of the click noise, its not the cables but more my front wheel too tight in the forks because I changed front wheel to 9mm bolt through axle.