Cannondale Alu Synapse sizing advice please

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,878
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Morning!

Considering one of these two bikes:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/synapse-alloy-105-5-disc-2016-road-bike-ec120349
cannondale-synapse-alloy-105-5-disc-2016-road-bike.jpg

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/synapse-adventure-disc-2015-road-bike-ec071025
cannondale-synapse-adventure-disc-2015-road-bike.jpg

I am 5ft 10, but have a short torso, so have found to have a comfy bike, I generally buy a smaller frame than my inside leg (34") might otherwise suggest.

One website I put my stats in, and it recommended a 58cm frame! I find a Felt 56 too large, but my Scott 54 is spot on.
I am pretty flexible, so drop from saddle to bars is not an issue.

I am thinking 54 for the above frame, but a Q&A on the Evans site from someone who was 5ft 10, with a 33" inseam, and the staff member recommended a 56.

Anyone on here own one and how do you find the sizing?

I think I might have found a 56 locally to me, so if they have it built up I will try and pop in at the weekend, but thought I would ask on here first.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    Assuming it is the same geometry as the 2014 model, I would guess a 54 although I'm sure a 56 would also be fine and could be adjusted to fit.

I'm 6ft, but have a shorter legs and longer torso and I ride a 56cm with a 110mm stem and it fits perfect.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks Dazz, yep that rings true with what I had in mind.

How do you find the bike by the way?

Can't decide between the above models - the blue one with black wheels is probably more practical (Once I add mudguards) but I also like the slightly retro look of the Adventure model - both that and this years model:
    cannondale-synapse-alloy-adventure-disc-2016-road-bike.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    Mine is the non disk brake version but as a winter bike it has been fantastic.

Nice relaxed geometry for winter base miles, full guard mounts etc. It just needed better wheels as the maddox wheels were shockingly poor.

I also replaced the BB30 with an adapter so I could use my shimano stages.

I have the carbon synapse for long summer miles so it was nice to have them both similarly set up.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    5ft 10 - 34 inch inseam, 56 Synapse fits me perfectly (equivalent to ML defy)- the reach is shorter than for a typical 56 "aggressive" geometry race bike. My saddle height is 77 cm above the bottom bracket - the drop would be circa 10 cm if the stem is slammed.
  • daniel_b
    Mine is the non disk brake version but as a winter bike it has been fantastic.

Nice relaxed geometry for winter base miles, full guard mounts etc. It just needed better wheels as the maddox wheels were shockingly poor.

I also replaced the BB30 with an adapter so I could use my shimano stages.

I have the carbon synapse for long summer miles so it was nice to have them both similarly set up.

All sounding good :D guess some nice disc wheels would be a nice upgrade, although with the adventure bike, part of it's appeal is the old school silver wheels.
    5ft 10 - 34 inch inseam, 56 Synapse fits me perfectly (equivalent to ML defy)- the reach is shorter than for a typical 56 "aggressive" geometry race bike. My saddle height is 77 cm above the bottom bracket - the drop would be circa 10 cm if the stem is slammed.

That's very interesting - don't suppose you have a pic of the bike as it is setup for you side on do you?
    If you don't want to put it on here but are happy to send it, let me know and I can pm you my e-mail address.
    What length stem and is it a standard set back seatpost?
    The lbs I e-mailed seemed to think a 54 would be more likely - I suppose the thinking being it is easier to make a small bike big enough, or less of a compromise than trying to make a big bike smaller.

Would you say you are pretty flexible?

I am more flexible than I used to be, but do have a bit of a dodgy back, though significantly better than it was 3 years ago.

I know my flexibility has improved as I am able to slide my saddle back on the seatpost 2-3cm, and just from stretching can see a big change.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • letap73
    Sadly I only test rode the 56 Synapse - it was adjusted to a simlar fit to my Ml Advanced Defy - i.e Saddle setback, saddle height was the same - reach to the bars was very similar to the Defy. The Stack and Reach figures for both are similar. The reach for the 56 Synapse is the same as the 54 Supersix evo which I own. In terms of flexibility I am about average for a male, although I find that my flexibility is better and issues with my back are now minimal due to doing pilates.I hope this helps. If your stats are the same as mine the 54 and the 56 will fit, however, in my opinion - for myself I am certain the 56 is the better size for me.
  • I'm 5'10" with a 33.7" inseam. Short torso and arms. I have, or had, a 54 with a 100mm stem and 72mm reach bars. 753cm from centre of BB to top of saddle. I now ride a M Giant Defy again 100m stem and 75mm reach bars.

I say get a fit done to advise of the sizing required.

Please don't trust Evans I know 3 people who have ill-advised on what size they required.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks for those replies chaps, very useful indeed.

No fear, I won't rely on Evans!

The LBS have another synapse with the same geometry, so I will be popping into try that one soon.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • If your existing road bikes fit you just compare the geometry to those.
    Look at the stack and reach stats.
  • daniel_b
    If your existing road bikes fit you just compare the geometry to those.
    Look at the stack and reach stats.

Good call, I will do so tonight and post the results for forum analysis.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    OK, so some stats - CR1 SL first, Synapse thingy second:

Headtube angle - 73\72
    Measured size - 48\49
    Seattube angle - 74\73.9
    Stack - 565\576
    Reach - 383\376

I run a 90mm stem on the Scott, so suspect I might be able to run a 100 on a 54 Synapse.

Comments?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • letap73
    OK, so some stats - CR1 SL first, Synapse thingy second:

Headtube angle - 73\72
    Measured size - 48\49
    Seattube angle - 74\73.9
    Stack - 565\576
    Reach - 383\376

I run a 90mm stem on the Scott, so suspect I might be able to run a 100 on a 54 Synapse.

Comments?

I suspect you are right. You should also find the saddle to bar drop very reasonable, as the stack for the Synapse is quite high for a 54. It looks like you would be a good fit on a 54. If you can visit the shop where you are considering the purchase, ask to put the saddle in the correct position for you - measure from saddle tip to centre of bars with a tape measure and then compare that reading with the Scott (it should be similar - assuming the Synapse comes with 100mm stem). If the bar is completely different measure from saddle tip to a position on the brake hoods - make the same comparison as before with the Scott.
  • IIRC, Cannondale stack measurements don't include the 25mm spacer on the headset that comes as standard.

A 54 Synapse comes stock with a 100mm stem. I ride a 54 in a Synapse and a CAAD, despite the difference in fit because they're different bikes for different jobs. At 5'9" and a bit, they both fit well, perhaps the CAAD shades it because I am short of leg (30". Actually take 28" leg trousers) but long in the arms and body.
  • IIRC, Cannondale stack measurements don't include the 25mm spacer on the headset that comes as standard.

A 54 Synapse comes stock with a 100mm stem. I ride a 54 in a Synapse and a CAAD, despite the difference in fit because they're different bikes for different jobs. At 5'9" and a bit, they both fit well, perhaps the CAAD shades it because I am short of leg (30". Actually take 28" leg trousers) but long in the arms and body.

As above,

the stack doesn't include the spacers.
    To get the same position you'll need 10mm less spacers than the scott which will push the effective reach out by another 3 or 4mm hence the 90mm stem would probably better.
    in summary, just buy a supersix, they're prettier :wink: