Help! Rose Xeon Team CGF or Cannyon Endurance CF

Benjack83
Benjack83 Posts: 4
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone

I'm looking for a bike that will be comfortable for long rides whilst also remaining fast and responsive. I've got tight hamstrings and low pelvic rotation so quite taken by the sportif/endurance style bikes. And I've been seduced by the value of online brands Cannyon and Rose; but am in a dilemma between the Endurance and the Xeon Team CGF. Both similar price and spec. The Cannyon is very frequently reviewed but not much on the Rose. Not really sure how the ride position or feel compares... not good at translating the geometry!

Can anyone advise on the main differences between the two?

Thanks for the advice.

Ben

Comments

• dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Not rode either but considering both.

From purely what I have read only I conclude that the Rose Frame is slightly better and I think it is a more fun bike to throw around corners on descents. Plus you have the option to change the spec easily with the Rose. When you throw in the fact that the Rose is about £300 cheaper in Dura-Ace spec then it's definitely a no brainer for me. I think you're already starting to see Canyon's ever rising prominence reflect in their slightly higher prices, albeit still much better value then it's mainstream competitors.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    As long as the geometry is right, buy the one that you like the look of best.
    If you are concerned about geometry then there's the issue with buying online. Go to a good local bike shop instead where you can try.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Either would be a good choice. I went for a Rose X-Lite over the equivalent Canyon purely on price (and the odd stem size Canyon used/uses). Though I do prefer the look of Canyon bikes over Rose.
    As far a geometry is concerned, I measured my old bike set up and matched it to the frame geometries online. Takes a while to do but is worth the effort.

A bike fit may be of use.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Rose have a test fleet at their place in Bath. If you are within sensible travelling distance why not go there and throw your leg over a couple?
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    I bought the Xeon GF rather than the CGF after a reviewer who rode both said that the aluminium framed version was a little more engaging. The other advantage of the GF aluminium version is the clever aluminium headset spacers which screw in to the head tube, so you can specify how many spacers you want whilst still maintaining fork rigidity. The geometry is fairly relaxed anyway.

Incidentally, I also have a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX and I don't find the geometry particularly aggressive so I would imagine the Endurace should be fairly relaxed. From a geometry point of view, I can't imagine there is enough difference to make one more comfortable than the other. If you are in between sizes you could opt for the larger frame to increase stack height and another consideration would be specifying the shortest cracks you can. This could make a dramatic difference if you suffer from lower back discomfort and/or tight hamstrings - it certainly did for me.

Hope this helps.
  • Thanks everyone, that's really helpful. Think I'm edging towards the Rose, but will find out more about test ride options first. Bath isn't too far away.

I've had a bike fitting before, but did not find it very helpful and still feel too stretched out on my current bike, so don't see it as a good template for the new one.

Appreciate guidance re crank length. Had not considered this as an another thing you can play with to get the most comfortable ride position.

Cheers all
  • I have the Rose CGF 3000. Bought it in Feb and have done over 10,000km on it this year in the Uk and in the Alps/Pyrnees. Such a brilliant bike, go for it.
  • I have the Rose CGF 3000. Bought it in Feb and have done over 10,000km on it this year in the Uk and in the Alps/Pyrnees. Such a brilliant bike, go for it.

Ok - I think I will do just that! :P :P :P

Just got to agonise over colour choice now...! :roll:
  • I've pretty much narrowed it down to the same two bikes, for the same reasons you mention.

I haven't yet decided which spec (groupset and wheels) to go for. One question, in case anyone knows, is whether both Rose and Canyon have stopped offering Campagnolo and why?

Canyon definitely used to offer it - I have been thinking about a new bike for most of this year and the Endurace was offered with Campag earlier in the year. Those options don't seem to be there now, though. No Campag isn't a definite deal-breaker - I'm not evangelical about it either way - but I have Campag on my other road bike and it would be helpful to have the same basic set up (i.e. shifting).

Thanks
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.