best drinks bottle

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Can someone recommend a drinks bottle please? Must stay firmly in the cages and not leak.

Cheers
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    That would be all of them then...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I like the elite ones, same as most of the pro teams use.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    Camelbak range. I've got the 'chilled' one and the non-chilled one. The chilled one has a double-skin to provide some insulation to keep drinks cooler for longer. The nozzle is fantastic - a twist action to open or lock. The newer versions of Camelbak come with a wider nozzle than those from a few years ago. Absolutely no chance of leaking. They also come in a few colour combinations so you can get ones that blend in with your bike's colours or stand out depending on what you prefer.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    +1 for camelbak podium
  • imposter2.0
    Bottles staying secure in a cage has more to do with the cage than the bottle...
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Bottles staying secure in a cage has more to do with the cage than the bottle...

This.

Buy bottles which look nice and wont be expensive to replace.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Would avoid putting a camelbak in an Elite cage. They work their way up and shoot out IME.
    At least the old ones did. Not tried the new ones in them.

Great nozel/mouthpiece (especially new type) and insulation works well on the Camelbaks (I find Tacx cages work well).

I got some Bontrager carbon cages recently (which only take more regularly shaped bottles) and so have had to go back to bog standard SIS bottles.
    Am surprised at how much I like the cages, and how much I like the ease/way the bottles work with them.
    So much so that I do not miss the Camelbaks.
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Tacx Shiva: cheap, has the most 'clean' taste, (ie water tastes best,) and can be 'locked' to stop any leakage.

Camelbak bottles are good, but it's a nightmare to clean the cap if it gets mold in it etc
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • rs6mra1
    rs6mra1 Posts: 105
    Tacx Shiva: cheap, has the most 'clean' taste, (ie water tastes best,) and can be 'locked' to stop any leakage.

Camelbak bottles are good, but it's a nightmare to clean the cap if it gets mold in it etc

Are you aware that the jet valve comes apart to aid cleaning on the Camelbak bottles?
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    Some cleaning instructions here for the Camelbak Podium bottles.

http://www.camelbak.com/en/Global/Support/Product-Care/Cleaning/Cleaning-Podium-Bottles.aspx

My first one from four years ago has been washed after each ride and still looks and works like new but I've never taken the silicone nozzle off. I just use a non-scratch dish-washing pad with washing-up liquid around the nozzle, the cap and inside and outside the bottle itself.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Hate to say it but the Rapha bottles. Don't believe that the Rapha ones are the same as the cheaper Camelbak Podium, they are not. The mouth piece is much better in my experience.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    elite seem to do it for me, got some camelbacks and whilst a great idea, they've popped out of my cages more than once. i'm using elite cages (the plastic ones).

on;ly problem or weakeness with the elites is the top caps can be fragile.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I bought a couple of bottles from Condor Cycles a year or so back (too long ago!) and they have been great. I haven't tried the Camelback twist top bottles - maybe they are easier to use than they look? The Condor ones aren't 100% leak proof but they're the best I've experienced.

Peter
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,878
    Podium all day long, superb valve, and CRC had them for £5 each very recently (Nabbed one to add to my current household stash of 6) - no idea if still on offer.

Deffo cleans up nicely in the top of the dishwasher, never had any issues.

And mine work fine with Elite cages of this style:
    bc61698.jpg

EDIT: still on offer - £5.40 each if you have BC membership.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/camelbak-podium-bottle-710ml/rp-prod117296
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    elite seem to do it for me, got some camelbacks and whilst a great idea, they've popped out of my cages more than once. i'm using elite cages (the plastic ones).

on;ly problem or weakeness with the elites is the top caps can be fragile.

Looks like I'm not the only one to suffer with the Camelbacks coming loose - my Podium is somewhere between Carnforth and Silverdale in North Lancashire, and I didn't even hear it hit the ground (so if any finds one...).
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Once again, if you Camelbaks are launching, get better cages. Or start doing pushups so you have enough strength to insert bottles properly.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,878
    edited October 2015
    Once again, if you Camelbaks are launching, get better cages. Or start doing pushups so you have enough strength to insert bottles properly.

Indeed - mine have been fine even behind the saddle on an aqua rack (Both empty and full) - again with the Elite cages shown above - it's a rock hard fit, though I think it might be more secure if you rotate the bottle so part of the cut out section to grip the bottle sits under the tab on the cage - if that makes sense.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Wouldn't normally contribute to a daft thread, but SiS do a bottle which is a 'wide neck', easy to throw scoops of drink powder in of course but the bottles are wider too, so in an elite cage as someone put a photo of above they are nice and tight. They do 600, 800 and 1000ml so the capacity is a bit bigger than some (which can help a bit if you are a one bottle person). So, there's a couple of things going on here which make them a bit different to some.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Science-Sport-Water-Bottle-800ml/dp/B00KXA6VIC
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Hate to say it but the Rapha bottles. Don't believe that the Rapha ones are the same as the cheaper Camelbak Podium, they are not. The mouth piece is much better in my experience.

On the Rapha website all the pics of bottles have camelbak logos on them - maybe the Rapha are just the new version I have seen mentioned?

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076

On the Rapha website all the pics of bottles have camelbak logos on them - maybe the Rapha are just the new version I have seen mentioned?

Paul.

They are indeed Camelbak bottles but they are not the same as the much cheaper Podiums. There is an assumption that you are paying more in Rapha tax but they are indeed also better.

At the same time I would assume Camelbak would sell them, seeing as they as so much better!? I got my Podium around August, perhaps there is a new one.
  • I use Camelbak Podium chills, keeps the drinks cooler for longer in the hot weather. I use the big ones, 750ml in Elite Custom cages, never had one drop out, never noticed one start coming out once it's in the cage. Perhaps the Chill versions or the bigger bottles are slightly wider and so are a more snug fit? Also used them with cheapo alloy cages without any problems.

I wash them in the dishwasher after every ride, bottle on the bottom shelf, lid on the top and the jet valve in the cutlery basket, no problems and been using them for well over a year now.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Haha, I love this place. 20 odd replies about what drinks bottle to buy.

Drinks bottle.

Drinks. Bottle.

Cracking.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Someone's bottle popping out and bouncing towards me did not seem so funny when hurtling down Combe Lane on Saturday.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    I'll give another vote to SiS bottles. Unlike all the other bottles I've used they stay compliant and easily squeezable in winter temperatures whereas other bottles, especially cheap ones, stiffen up making them a pain to squirt into one's gob.
  • imposter2.0
    Do people actually buy bottles? I get all mine free ;)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

Are they CamelBaks that have shot out of the rider in fronts Elite cage?
  • imposter2.0

Are they CamelBaks that have shot out of the rider in fronts Elite cage?

:lol::D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have a pair of Camelbak Podiums and Lezyne Flow cages. They fit together very securely and silently; in fact it can take a few tries to master the art of removing a bottle until you get the hang of it. Never lost a bottle full or empty, and that includes a few miles of very rattly CX courtesy of my demented Garmin Touring :D
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    I've got the Rapha/Camelbak (Data finish thingys) in Elite Cannibal cages on my summer bike and I've never had any issues.

I have SIS bottles in clear, black, yellow or Elite bottles in a fluro finish on the winter bike (depending on my outfit lol) and they have always been fine as well. :D
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    +1 for camelbak podium
    they are OK, but they dont keep drinks as cold for as long as, or as well as the nanogel by Elite
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2