Jobs

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    99% of inmail gets ignored. I get 100s from oiky recruiters daily. you could send a note. but what you really want is his work email. stop f***ing ;) about thinking about it. either try to guess his address or phone reception and ask for it.

I know you are worried about screwing up your chances. But doing nothing is a sure way to do that.
  • 99% of inmail gets ignored. I get 100s from oiky recruiters daily. you could send a note. but what you really want is his work email. stop f***ing ;) about thinking about it. either try to guess his address or phone reception and ask for it.

I know you are worried about screwing up your chances. But doing nothing is a sure way to do that.

You are all brutal in your ways about getting jobs haha.

Not my usual style, but will do it tomorrow.

Have taken all comments on board. Will report back tomorrow.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,575
    It's tomorrow now goddamnit!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,922
    Tomorrow was yesterday!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I found out today that estate agents get paid more than engineers. What the fook is wrong with this world? What have estate agents ever contributed to humanity?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Over-inflated house prices, smarminess and a massive misguided believe in their own self-worth.

It's unlikely my children will ever be able to afford a decent house because of the greed of estate agents. I hate the fu*kers, especially the ones that call themselves some poncy name such as 'Real Estate Transactor'.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There's a word beginning with the letter c which describes them perfectly.
    And why do they all drive Audi's or BMWs? And wear pink shirts and massive watches? And is it just me who wants to punch them within seconds of meeting them?
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    There's a word beginning with the letter c which describes them perfectly.
    And why do they all drive Audi's or BMWs? And wear pink shirts and massive watches? And is it just me who wants to punch them within seconds of meeting them?

And me, massive bunch of c**ts.
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • I found out today that estate agents get paid more than engineers. What the fook is wrong with this world? What have estate agents ever contributed to humanity?

They have the mouth for selling one square foot of living space depending on the weather and how they feel. How they are evil. It is true, engineers now seem to be underpaid or the term engineer or technician widely overused. Blood boils

Washing pots and pans is not a kitchen technician.
  • Anyway an update, apologies for a late reply.

I have secured some time next week to go and see them. Gave them a quick phone call and spoke with the HR lady I did before (didn't tell her this). And basically asked if I could come for a quick chat as I have noticed they are recruiting for various positions.

Also got in touch with some ex colleagues who have moved on to different companies, they are going to ask around etc.

Then heard of numerous people leaving the company that I have due to lean changes, people in power with no idea and making everything more difficult. Goes against kaizen to me.

On the other hand I watched a cyclo cross event on eurosport today, what the hell is that all about? Riding a course on a bike that isn't suitable, and half of them just ran the course carrying the bike. Have I missed something here?

Anyway most of you reading this know that my long term plan is RN in fleet air arm, a chance to retrain, new lifestyle etc.

I find it funny now, when you were asked at school "what job do you want to do". I should have answered it I will let you know when I grow up. Electronics was my choice, but knowing what I know now. I would have gone for avionics straight away.
  • bg13
    Anyway an update, apologies for a late reply.

I have secured some time next week to go and see them. Gave them a quick phone call and spoke with the HR lady I did before (didn't tell her this). And basically asked if I could come for a quick chat as I have noticed they are recruiting for various positions.

Also got in touch with some ex colleagues who have moved on to different companies, they are going to ask around etc.

Then heard of numerous people leaving the company that I have due to lean changes, people in power with no idea and making everything more difficult. Goes against kaizen to me.

On the other hand I watched a cyclo cross event on eurosport today, what the hell is that all about? Riding a course on a bike that isn't suitable, and half of them just ran the course carrying the bike. Have I missed something here?

Anyway most of you reading this know that my long term plan is RN in fleet air arm, a chance to retrain, new lifestyle etc.

I find it funny now, when you were asked at school "what job do you want to do". I should have answered it I will let you know when I grow up. Electronics was my choice, but knowing what I know now. I would have gone for avionics straight away.

Avionics clowns in the RAF are known as fairies! Hopefully the RN has a derogatory name for theirs. You'll have to let us know.

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er

Avionics clowns in the RAF are known as fairies! Hopefully the RN has a derogatory name for theirs. You'll have to let us know.

I will have to wait and see if I am lucky enough to be graced with such a title.

But I am curious as to why they have that name?
  • bg13

I will have to wait and see if I am lucky enough to be graced with such a title.

Coz they're all b3nders!

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er

Coz they're all b3nders!

You can do better than that. I know you are from the WAF haha.

But seriously, is a good trade. My long term plan is RN Fleet Air Arm, Air Engineering Technician. Then to work as hard as I can and hopefully transfer to the civilian role where I could make some money. From your experience, is this possible?
  • It is the job I want to do also, not only about the money.

I just want to know I will not be making a mistake again like I have with electronics. Trying to look for career progression. Maybe I will stay to the end. But I am trying to cover bases if I don't.

If you ask the AFCO everything is great, if you ask on ARRSE well you know what response you will get.
  • bg13

Coz they're all b3nders!

You can do better than that. I know you are from the WAF haha.

But seriously, is a good trade. My long term plan is RN Fleet Air Arm, Air Engineering Technician. Then to work as hard as I can and hopefully transfer to the civilian role where I could make some money. From your experience, is this possible?

Definitely possible, you'll have to self study towards your aircraft licences, quite a bit of your training will be relevant but not transferable to the civvy licence. Quite a few of my mates did the civvy licence thing, got out and haven't looked back. Some aircraft in RAF service now require the groundcrew to have civvy licences with type ratings (good money jobs when you get out) If you do join up, your options will be wide and varied, you may stay in avionics but not 'on aircraft'. Get involved and get bar fit!

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • Thank you, you have answered more questions than I wanted to ask.

I want to work with avionics, I wish I knew this when I was younger.

ATM the navy option is available to me. I passed RAF before but I am a year too old.

I knew about self studding but did not realisise I will have to study different aircraft.

Thank you for the info, just how transferable are the skills?

For me I want to find a way to the RN and stay there. Wish I knew this before. Done the maroon machine before.
  • bg13

RN are only helicopters at the mo, until the great white elephant (F-35) appears on her new carriers. But the military aircraft engineering legislation and aircraft engineering language are very different from civillian aircraft engineering. Also to be civvy licensed you have to learn all the aircraft trades, avionics, electrics, engines and airframes, in the military you'll learn only two of those.

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,922

RN are only helicopters at the mo, until the great white elephant (F-35) appears on her new carriers. But the military aircraft engineering legislation and aircraft engineering language are very different from civillian aircraft engineering. Also to be civvy licensed you have to learn all the aircraft trades, avionics, electrics, engines and airframes, in the military you'll learn only two of those.

White elephant indeed!
    The Aussies aren't impressed either.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-28/lockheed-f-35-s-reliability-found-wanting-in-shipboard-testing

• Thank you for the info, just how transferable are the skills?

Thank you BG13, didn't quite realize that it won't be transferable to civvy street.

As you have more knowledge than my AFCO (response was it is transferable) will give me, how would you go about bridging the gap to civvy street?

Or would it involve leaving the forces and attending Uni then looking for a civilian role? Quicker way maybe?
  • bg13

Thank you BG13, didn't quite realize that it won't be transferable to civvy street.

As you have more knowledge than my AFCO (response was it is transferable) will give me, how would you go about bridging the gap to civvy street?

Or would it involve leaving the forces and attending Uni then looking for a civilian role? Quicker way maybe?

You can study it part time but eventually you will need hands on experience on civvy jets, some companys will take you on, put you through your license and get you a type rating on a particular jet. Think the license is JAR66, have a search for it. A few RAF jets require RAF groundcrew to be licensed and type rated which obvs transfers when they leave the service, doesn't help you much though.

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er

• Thank you for the info, just how transferable are the skills?

No disrespect but how much do AFCO lie? If you ask on ARRSE everyones response is speak to AFCO.

I feel like I have a second chance now that I have grown up to do what I want to do. That is working with avionics.

Have heard of the JAR licenses but not too familiar with them. Too many variations.

In your opinion as you have the experience, what would you do? I am looking at Fleet air arm for around ten years or maybe more (if I am lucky) then transferring to civilian avionics. My local AFCO has lead me to believe it is easy to do. But knowing the military I know to take this with some salt.

The eventual goal is working within the military life for around ten years then transferring to civilian where I might be blessed with the chance of making some money.

If it isn't easy to transfer, I am willing to work harder to make it possible. Now i have realised what I really want to do. Oh if it was this easy when I was at school.

I know people who have transferred from fleet air arm to RM, but only because they want the green.

If the life is good enough when we get our que

You can study it part time but eventually you will need hands on experience on civvy jets, some companys will take you on, put you through your license and get you a type rating on a particular jet. Think the license is JAR66, have a search for it. A few RAF jets require RAF groundcrew to be licensed and type rated which obvs transfers when they leave the service, doesn't help you much though.

I understand I will need some hands on experience at some point. The local AFCO and people who were in fleet air arm and transferred to RM all seem to say the same thing. It is transferable.

Have heard of the JAR licensees before and knew it wouldn't be as easy, even if you ask on ARRSE they say it is easy.

For me this is the second chance to do what I actually want to do, now I have some experience. If you were in the same situ (and because you know the system better) what would you advise? I'd like the military life for ten years, then to transfer it to civvy life where I can make some money. But I will still be doing the job I want. Might even go for life in military, if I get the chance.

Just wanting some honest feedback from someone who has been there and knows how it works.
  • Your replies seem to be more honest from what I have received so far.

So thankyou for taking the time to reply.
  • bg13
    Your replies seem to be more honest from what I have received so far.

I know, being the crudcatcher i should keep it childish!

You seem to have a plan and i reckon it'll work for you, i loved my time but i'd had enough of the job i was doing at the end, the military will give you plenty of variety of jobs and locations, i've been to some amazing places, flown in some rare things etc. Stick to your guns where the afco are concerned, they can offer the world but at the end of the day they will be told what trades they need to concentrate on recruiting for.
    Good luck.
    Now fark off! :-)

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er

You seem to have a plan and i reckon it'll work for you, i loved my time but i'd had enough of the job i was doing at the end, the military will give you plenty of variety of jobs and locations, i've been to some amazing places, flown in some rare things etc. Stick to your guns where the afco are concerned, they can offer the world but at the end of the day they will be told what trades they need to concentrate on recruiting for.
    Good luck.

I do have a plan and it has taken x amount of years to work this out.

Feels like I have a second chance at doing what I want to do, as everyone does.

Will be sticking to my guns, but one last question before I fark off. How would I bridge the gap to civillian? That is the last be all and end all question :D AFCO and ARRSE will tell you what you want to hear. I would prefer a straight injection of truth.

Good luck.

If I am luck enough to pass again, I know I will gain experience and live a like that is not equal to the civvy life. When I think of the forces,I think of new challenges that you cannot experience in civvy an it excites me.

My brother just went through hunter before passing out in RM and he hated it. When I look at it I think where would I get a chance to do this.
  • bg13
    Your replies seem to be more honest from what I have received so far.

Good luck.

I do have a plan and it has taken x amount of years to work this out.

Feels like I have a second chance at doing what I want to do, as everyone does.

Will be sticking to my guns, but one last question before I fark off. How would I bridge the gap to civillian? That is the last be all and end all question :D AFCO and ARRSE will tell you what you want to hear. I would prefer a straight injection of truth.

Don't get too hung up on this bridging the gap from military qualifications(Q's) to civillian, they will train you to a high standard, you will pick up certain Q's that are civvy accredited along the way, you could possibly get Jar66 but i doubt it, but you can apply to go on courses that are civvy accredited that are of benefit to the service, so they will pay for it. You get an annual education allowance and tons of advice, you may end up on boats where you may not get tons of study time but there will be ways and means!

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • F*ck no I don't want to be stuck on a boat until we get the elephants then I will happily stay on a boat and live the Maverik out inside me.

You have answer more questions for me than what AFCO would.

Still sounds like the job I want. Enough questions.

Now I need to make it happed and grin and bare it through the bad times.
  • I'm in the market for a job atm, also in electronics......

I applied for a role with a small company that designs audio gear, I even have experience in that sector, I applied direct and heard nothing, then 3 months later the same job comes up again, I apply and still hear nothing. I can only assume that they want inexperienced graduates over people who have a wide range of skills and experience, I later applied for a similar role with one of the worlds biggest players in the Audio/Entertainment market and after 3 intense interviews I got down to the last two candidates and just missed out........ To this day I just cannot explain it, why could they see my value but the smaller company could not? it's got to be HR incompetence.

It doesn't help that there are hundreds of fake job ads all over jobs websites and clueless recruitment consultants are the gate keepers, working on a tick box system, they ask you to describe your skills, you forget to mention you know how to use a screwdriver and they drop you. Somewhat akin to dropping a chef for not mentioning he/she knows how to use a wooden spoon, totally ridiculous.
    One even dropped me for not having experience of PCB design, despite me having Proteus/Ares/Isis software (I admit it's old school) AND a PCB etching bath AT HOME.

Don't even get me started on the recruitment consultants that phone you fishing for information, asking about your previous employer, asking questions that have nothing to do with any job, pretending to have a job in order to get your reference contact details, then phone those people to try and sell their services, pissing them off to the point where they then won't give you a reference.

The govt has made a big fuss about there not being enough young engineers and how industry is crying out for them, but it's all a load of BS, there are actually very few jobs and some 60% of engineering graduates don't find jobs in engineering.
  • To this day I just cannot explain it, why could they see my value but the smaller company could not? it's got to be HR incompetence.
    It could be that they wanted someone that can step into the role and do it with very little to no training. This happened to me, they wanted someone so specific that they wouldn't even take me on and give me some training in the 1 area that I didn't have experience in, everything else I could have done, but that one thing meant they readvertised the post about 3 weeks later!
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro