Pest Contol

bianchibob
bianchibob Posts: 306
edited October 2015 in The cake stop
At present garden is inundated with rabbits and pigeons, so have decided to buy an air rifle for a bit of sport and as a deterrent.
I currently have a very old .177 BSA air rifle but it seems to be under powered.

Have seen several full powered 0.22 air rifles in particular a Hatsan 900x which at £69 seems a bargain.

Could augment this with a 3 -9 x 32 set of scopes .......for an additional £30

Any one have any experience of these air rifles.

Comments

• ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    spend the money on some fencing to keep the rabbits out instead
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • DO NOT use a cheap rubbish air rifle to kill prey.

Either invest in the proper tools for the job, or get someone to do it for you (plenty will do it for free)

All animals deserve respect, (I kill hundreds a year) I would be devastated if a shot went wrong and a wounded animal escaped to the hedgerow.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899

All animals deserve respect, (I kill hundreds a year)

I take it that's in a professional capacity?

Pest control/culling of deer etc?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Any chance you could take care of a few magpies if you see them too?

• All animals deserve respect, (I kill hundreds a year)

I take it that's in a professional capacity?

Pest control/culling of deer etc?

Yes, and for food. The main thing is a quick clean act, cheap air rifles are not the way to achieve that. All that I have came across are unsuitable for hunting and are nothing more than back garden plinkers for targets and ti cans.
  • +1 on the air rifles. A guy used.his to control pigeons at work and one got hit but died on a rafter by bleeding out. I know pigeons are just a winged rats but they don't deserve.bleeding out due to a poor hit. Another fell down and flapped around for a bit before dying. Get another way to control them please.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    A falcon!
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    At present garden is inundated with rabbits and pigeons, so have decided to buy an air rifle for a bit of sport and as a deterrent.
    I currently have a very old .177 BSA air rifle but it seems to be under powered.

Have seen several full powered 0.22 air rifles in particular a Hatsan 900x which at £69 seems a bargain.

Could augment this with a 3 -9 x 32 set of scopes .......for an additional £30

Any one have any experience of these air rifles.

Out of interest what about rabbits and pigeons being in your garden do dislike so much that you wish to kill them?

You could be quite chuffed; an abundance of wildlife on your doorstep means you are amongst a thriving little ecosystem. Why not celebrate this instead of destroying it?

Also can you elaborate on "...and as a deterrent."? and explain what you mean by this? You do understand these creatures have primitive mental function?
    tick - tick - tick
  • By 'deterrent' I mean killing a few and surprisingly by using their 'primitive mental ability' the rest get the message.

I live in the country out of choice and am a great admirer of our rich and diverse flora and fauna, however the shear number of rabbits and pigeons slowly destroy your garden, by random digging, gnawing at and destroying young plant and tree stems and the pigeons destroy young plants and vegetables.

Fencing and installing netting is not an option as the area is too great.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Get a dog, a jack Russell should keep everything out of your garden including small children :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    +1 on the air rifles. A guy used.his to control pigeons at work and one got hit but died on a rafter by bleeding out. I know pigeons are just a winged rats but they don't deserve.bleeding out due to a poor hit. Another fell down and flapped around for a bit before dying. Get another way to control them please.
    Been there.
    Done that.
    Felt guilty.
    Won't do it again.
    Won't advise doing it either.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    Get a dog, a jack Russell should keep everything out of your garden including small children :D

Some cats too?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Get someone in

Most ferreters and air gun enthusiasts will do the job for free.

As for the birds, a decent cage trap works best.

Don`t just buy a cheap air rifle and blast away. Get an experienced hunter to help you out and get you started if you really want to do it yourself.
  • SLR021
    SLR021 Posts: 79
    Might be worth readingthe following : http://www.pigeoncontrolresourcecentre.org/html/pigeon-pest-control-and-the-law.html

particularly the following excerpt : "Loosely translated this means that any property owner experiencing entrenched problems with feral pigeons on his/her property can instruct an agent or contractor to kill pigeons and destroy nests on that specific site or building, providing that the terms and conditions of the relevant General Licence are fully met. Should the authorised person be unable to demonstrate that the problems being experienced have resulted in, or are likely to result in, a risk to public health or safety, or that all methods of non-lethal control have been tried and have failed, the action to kill birds would not be allowed under the terms and conditions of the General Licences and would be deemed illegal as a result. The owner/occupier would then be liable for prosecution."

lest you fall fowl of the law.....

Also it might be worth adhering to the "live and let live" precept. You know, the same precept you'd love motorists generally, and van and lorry drivers especially, to adhere to when you're out on your bike and very small and vulnerable to more powerful idiots...

as for the rabbits, I'm really not sure whether it's brave or simply foolhardy for someone like you to take on something that large and fluffy - gun or no gun....... :lol:
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    What is wrong with having rabbits in your garden? or pigeons for that matter?

Why not (as the wise Pinno suggested) get some better fences or just make a loud noise, rabbits are not brave, they will run off and there is no chance you will kill them all anyway!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321

Why not (as the wise Pinno suggested) get some better fences or just make a loud noise, rabbits are not brave, they will run off and there is no chance you will kill them all anyway!

What are you after? :roll: I'm skint BTW and my bikes aren't for borrowing/sale?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861

What are you after? :roll: I'm skint BTW and my bikes aren't for borrowing/sale?

Nothing, he is just a nice chap

He will also send you a pic of his sister to say thank you for the good idea
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I keep sending the pics, are they not getting through? must be getting blocked somewhere!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes